Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Is there a way to have Personal Web Server on XP- Home?

Is there a way to have Personal Web Server on XP- Home?

aa

Is there a way to have Personal Web Server on XP- Home?

PW

Follow this article. its tells you home to install PWS and has a link where
to get it from ...

http://www.webmonkey.com//backend/da...tutorial3.html

John Waller

> Follow this article. its tells you home to install PWS and has a link
> where to get it from ...

It's a good, but dated, tutorial but it doesn't apply to Windows XP (Home or
Pro).

PWS has been discontinued in favour of IIS.

--
Regards

John Waller

aa

Thanks, it's a very good article - actually I read it heavily when I was
designing my first DB-based website some years ago.
"PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ehBAs$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Follow this article. its tells you home to install PWS and has a link

where
> to get it from ...
>
> http://www.webmonkey.com//backend/da...tutorial3.html

aa

I do not need PWS per ce, I need something which would allow to run ASP on
my local XP-Home.
In my XP-Home installation CD there is no IIS. Can I download a version
installable on XP-Home?

John Waller

>I do not need PWS per ce, I need something which would allow to run ASP on
> my local XP-Home.

PWS is defunct.

You need XP Pro with IIS.

> In my XP-Home installation CD there is no IIS. Can I download a version
> installable on XP-Home?

No, no, no and...no.

You mentioned in an earlier thread that PHP was also a possibility for you?

Or are you definitely needing ASP?

--
Regards

John Waller

aa

> You mentioned in an earlier thread that PHP was also a possibility for
you?
> Or are you definitely needing ASP?

does not matter. Matters the ease of getting and installing. PHP works on
PWS.
But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
procedure makes me feel uncomfortable

Tim Slattery

"aa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
>I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
>procedure makes me feel uncomfortable

I can't understand that at all. It's dead easy to install. I've got it
running on my laptop (XP Home) to debug web stuff. It runs Perl CGI
programs effortlessly. It will run PHP also.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

John Waller

> But if you mean using PHP on Apache - installing Apache scares me off.
> I've never installed it, but just reading about installing Apache/PHP
> procedure makes me feel uncomfortable

There's nothing to be scared of.

You obviously haven't tried WAMP.

It's a simple point and click process with a friendly icon in your system
tray once installed.

--
Regards

John Waller