Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Lost session variables

Lost session variables

google@walkerwebworks.co.uk

I have a website that has a asp secured members only aria that keeps
session variables to check if someone is logged in or not (if session
variables are not there then redirect to logon screen) but I also have
non members aria and I need a way of asking the user if they want to
move away from the members only aria or go back to it. I have used an
asp to find out if the page is a non member page and if there is a
session variable there. If there is a session variable and is a non
member page then I use JavaScript to bring up a confirm box that if
the cancel button is pressed then it goes back a page. The problem is
that when you go back a page the session variable gets lost. Dose
anyone know how to solve this problem or a better way of doing this?

Evertjan.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 01 feb 2007 in

> I have a website that has a asp secured members only aria that keeps
> session variables to check if someone is logged in or not (if session
> variables are not there then redirect to logon screen) but I also have
> non members aria and I need a way of asking the user if they want to
> move away from the members only aria or go back to it. I have used an
> asp to find out if the page is a non member page and if there is a
> session variable there. If there is a session variable and is a non
> member page then I use JavaScript to bring up a confirm box that if
> the cancel button is pressed then it goes back a page. The problem is
> that when you go back a page the session variable gets lost. Dose
> anyone know how to solve this problem or a better way of doing this?

Better show your asp code, only the relevant part, that is.

If you loose the session, you loose the session variables,
so I think it is about losing the session.

The page you come from is or should be stored in:
Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

google@walkerwebworks.co.uk

here is my code
logon is set to 1 in a include that is only on member pages

<%if logon<>1 then
if session("user_ID") <> 0 OR Session("user_ID") <> "" then
%>

<script type="text/javascript">
var r=confirm("are you shure you want to leave the secure area?")
if (r==true)
{
}
else
{
history.go(-1)
}

</script>
<% end if
else %>
a members menu bar include
<%end if %>

Evertjan.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote on 01 feb 2007 in

> here is my code
> logon is set to 1 in a include that is only on member pages
>
> <%if logon<>1 then

> if session("user_ID") <> 0 OR Session("user_ID") <> "" then

This boolean is always true!!!!

The boolean can only be false,
if session("user_ID") is both 0 and "" at the same time,
which is impossible.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Anthony Jones

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 01 feb 2007 in
>
> > here is my code
> > logon is set to 1 in a include that is only on member pages
> >
> > <%if logon<>1 then

> > if session("user_ID") <> 0 OR Session("user_ID") <> "" then

> This boolean is always true!!!!
>
> The boolean can only be false,
> if session("user_ID") is both 0 and "" at the same time,
> which is impossible.

Are you sure? What if Session("User_ID") is empty?

This code would be better:-

If Session("User_ID") = Empty Then

Roland Hall

"Anthony Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote on 01 feb 2007 in
>>
>> > here is my code
>> > logon is set to 1 in a include that is only on member pages
>> >
>> > <%if logon<>1 then

>> > if session("user_ID") <> 0 OR Session("user_ID") <> "" then

>> This boolean is always true!!!!
>>
>> The boolean can only be false,
>> if session("user_ID") is both 0 and "" at the same time,
>> which is impossible.
>>

> Are you sure? What if Session("User_ID") is empty?
>
> This code would be better:-
>
> If Session("User_ID") = Empty Then

-A starter template-

' loggedin.asp - included in members only pages
<%
dim username
username = session("username")
if username = "" then Response.Redirect "login.asp"
%>

' common.asp
<%
sub prt(str)
Response.Write str & vbCrLf
end sub

sub lprt(str)
Response.Write str & "<br />" & vbCrLf
end sub
%>

' login.asp
<%@ Language="VBScript" %>
<%
Option Explicit
Response.Buffer = True
%>
<!--#include file="common.asp"-->
<%
dim method
method = Request.ServerVariables(""Request_Method")
if method = "POST" then
' process login
' ...
' if login successful
session("username") = rs("username")
Response.Redirect "welcome.asp"
else
prt "<html>
prt "<head>"
prt "<title>Login</title>"
prt "</head>"
prt "<body>"
prt "<form action="""" method=""post"">"
lprt "Username: <input type=""text"" name=""username"" value="""" />"
lprt "Password: <input type=""password"" name=""password"" value="""" />"
lprt "<input type=""submit"" value=""Login"" />"
prt "</form>
lprt "Not a member? <input type=""button"" value=""Register""
onclick=""locaton.href='register.asp'"" />"
lprt "You can also browse our site as a visitor by clicking <a
href=""visitor.asp"">here</a>."
lprt "You must register to have full access to the site."
prt "</body>"
prt "</html>"
%>

' welcome.asp
<@ Language="VBScript" %>
<%
Option Explicit
Response.Buffer = True
%>
<!--#include file="loggedin.asp"-->
<!--#include file="common.asp"-->
<%
' code goes here
prt "<div class=""toolbar"">Username: " & username & " <a
href=""location.href='logout.asp'"">logout</a></div>"

' ...
%>

' logout.asp
<%