Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > server side printing

server side printing

eddyger

Hi,

I would like to print to a printer connected to my IIS server.
I mean "I DONT WANT TO PRINT ON EVERY PRINTER IN THE WORLD". (many
answers are thinking javascript printing to the user side)
I just want to print on the server side only for me (in ASP of course)
Another thing to consider is that i use a local printer that generate
PDF (Acrobat Distiller driver + ghostscript + redmon port redirector ).
My server side printer name is "PDFPrinter" and its port is "RPT1:"
I tried with FileSystemObject.CreateTextFile("RPT1:",True) but don't
work.I saw many examples with:
.......set objPrinter =CreateTextFile("LPT1:",True) so ....
I also tried with Wscript.NetWork class but no sucess...

Is there any expert to answer me ?
Thanks in advance !

Mike Brind

"eddyger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to print to a printer connected to my IIS server.
> I mean "I DONT WANT TO PRINT ON EVERY PRINTER IN THE WORLD". (many
> answers are thinking javascript printing to the user side)
> I just want to print on the server side only for me (in ASP of course)
> Another thing to consider is that i use a local printer that generate
> PDF (Acrobat Distiller driver + ghostscript + redmon port redirector ).
> My server side printer name is "PDFPrinter" and its port is "RPT1:"
> I tried with FileSystemObject.CreateTextFile("RPT1:",True) but don't
> work.I saw many examples with:
> ......set objPrinter =CreateTextFile("LPT1:",True) so ....
> I also tried with Wscript.NetWork class but no sucess...
>
> Is there any expert to answer me ?
> Thanks in advance !

I'm not sure you can generate PDF files from ASP in this way at all (if
that's what you mean by "print"). At the very least, you would need to be
able to access the Distiller API to automate its use. The SDK and technical
docs are available here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/

An alternative is to use a COM solution such as ASPPDF from Persits
Software.

--
Mike Brind

eddyger

thank you for your answer
I search a free solution, so if you know a good one....

Mike Brind a écrit :

> "eddyger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to print to a printer connected to my IIS server.
> > I mean "I DONT WANT TO PRINT ON EVERY PRINTER IN THE WORLD". (many
> > answers are thinking javascript printing to the user side)
> > I just want to print on the server side only for me (in ASP of course)
> > Another thing to consider is that i use a local printer that generate
> > PDF (Acrobat Distiller driver + ghostscript + redmon port redirector ).
> > My server side printer name is "PDFPrinter" and its port is "RPT1:"
> > I tried with FileSystemObject.CreateTextFile("RPT1:",True) but don't
> > work.I saw many examples with:
> > ......set objPrinter =CreateTextFile("LPT1:",True) so ....
> > I also tried with Wscript.NetWork class but no sucess...
> >
> > Is there any expert to answer me ?
> > Thanks in advance !
> >

> I'm not sure you can generate PDF files from ASP in this way at all (if
> that's what you mean by "print"). At the very least, you would need to be
> able to access the Distiller API to automate its use. The SDK and technical
> docs are available here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/
>
> An alternative is to use a COM solution such as ASPPDF from Persits
> Software.
>
> --
> Mike Brind

Mike Brind

A "free" solution is available if you download the SDK and build your own.