Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > allow people to upload excel file to asp program?

allow people to upload excel file to asp program?

c676228

Hi everyone,
I will develop a program to enroll a group of people on-line. Since we don't
have number limitation for the people in the group. I am wondering if there
is any company allow people to upload an excel sheet which contains data
about the people in the group and the asp program can import the data into
the program direclty, so the customer don't have to type each person's info
individual sin it's error prone and time consuming for a group having many
people. I believe there are some securities concerns there and almost think
isn't dorable, but just want to get some experts' opinions.
--
Betty

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Betty,

Do you need to upload the file just once, or every user need to upload his
file? Here is an article about how to upload a file in ASP applicaiton:

How to upload files to a Web server by using ASP

It use an ActiveX control which can easy be created in Visual Basic 6.0.

(If you need solution with ASP.NET, you may refer to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323246)

After you upload the excel file onto the server, you may retrieve the data
from it with JET:

cnn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=c:\somepath\ExcelFile.xls;" & _
"Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;"";"

How To Query and Update Excel Data Using ADO From ASP

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

c676228

Hi Luke,
Every user needs to upload his own file. But remember, it is not internal
user, it's internet user. It doesn't mention anything like dealing with any
possible mallicious files. Just wondering?
--
Betty

"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Betty,
>
> Do you need to upload the file just once, or every user need to upload his
> file? Here is an article about how to upload a file in ASP applicaiton:
>
> How to upload files to a Web server by using ASP
>
> It use an ActiveX control which can easy be created in Visual Basic 6.0.
>
> (If you need solution with ASP.NET, you may refer to:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323246)
>
> After you upload the excel file onto the server, you may retrieve the data
> from it with JET:
>
> cnn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
> "Data Source=c:\somepath\ExcelFile.xls;" & _
> "Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;"";"
>
> How To Query and Update Excel Data Using ADO From ASP
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Luke Zhang
>
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> ications.

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello Betty,

This solution (KB299692) also works for a internet application. And, when
we access an Excel file with Jet and ADO, only data in the Excel will be
retrieved. Marco and script won't be executed on the server side. And, once
it found it was a invalid Excel file, it will generate exception.