Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Triming the Back Button

Triming the Back Button

Ron Lautmann

Is there a way to remove items from the Back Button programatically? When a
user gets to a certain page and presses the back button I want to bypass
some of the pages that he got to on the way to that page. For example, I
don't want the user to see the forms he posted before he got to this page.

To illustrate, suppose the users sees these pages in sequence:

P1-->P2-->P3-->P4

What I want is when the user is viewing P4 and presses the back button he
goes to P1 rather than P3.

Natty Gur

Hi,

as far as I know the only way to achieve this behavior is only by
supplying your own navigation mechanism. I'll be happy to hear other
options...

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)52-8888377

John Saunders

"Ron Lautmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to remove items from the Back Button programatically? When

> user gets to a certain page and presses the back button I want to bypass
> some of the pages that he got to on the way to that page. For example, I
> don't want the user to see the forms he posted before he got to this page.
>
> To illustrate, suppose the users sees these pages in sequence:
>
> P1-->P2-->P3-->P4
>
> What I want is when the user is viewing P4 and presses the back button he
> goes to P1 rather than P3.

John Saunders

"Ron Lautmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to remove items from the Back Button programatically? When

> user gets to a certain page and presses the back button I want to bypass
> some of the pages that he got to on the way to that page. For example, I
> don't want the user to see the forms he posted before he got to this page.
>
> To illustrate, suppose the users sees these pages in sequence:
>
> P1-->P2-->P3-->P4
>
> What I want is when the user is viewing P4 and presses the back button he
> goes to P1 rather than P3.

Did I just send a blank response? Sorry if so.

There's no good way to do this. What if the user is viewing P4 and enters P3
into the browser's address bar? What if the user creates a new browser
window and has that window go to P2 while the first one goes back to P3?

This is one of the characteristics of a web application. Because you didn't
create the program the user is using (the browser), you don't have complete
control over what the user does with that program. The trick is to simply
get over it and come up with another way of accomplishing what you need.
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail