Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Service unavailable error

Service unavailable error

maansi.creations@gmail.com

Service unavailable error comes randomly while accessing our website
and gets alright in matter of seconds....Could some one tell the
possible reasons for these to happen: i got a earlier suggestion to our
error as follows:

If the error continues, it means that your website is exceeding the
resource thresholds we set in IIS. Your website has been allocated 20%
CPU and 800 MB of virtual memory. We set the limits to prevent any one
site from impacting server performance. IIS will restart your
application pool if these limits are exceeded. Your website will
display the "Service Unavailable" error while it is restarted.

If you find that this is happening, you will want to audit your scripts
to reduce resource usage.

If the error seems to happen randomly during the day and cannot be
linked to one or more specific scripts, then you are probably exceeding
our virtual memory limit. You can try to reduce memory by reducing
your per-session memory demands (session variables, objects, etc.)
and/or by reducing your total sessions (for example, by decreasing your
session timeout).

If the error is triggered by a particular script, then you will want to
first audit the script for high CPU usage. In particular, make sure
that the script doesn't have any infinite loop conditions.

-------------------------------
The points mentioned above was suggested earlier....But How to rectify
this error or atleast the process to find out which of the script pages
have errors which eat lot virtual memory.

We are runing a site with asp and database as sql...any help on this
account..

Mansi

Mike Brind

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Service unavailable error comes randomly while accessing our website
> and gets alright in matter of seconds....Could some one tell the
> possible reasons for these to happen: i got a earlier suggestion to our
> error as follows:

> If the error continues, it means that your website is exceeding the
> resource thresholds we set in IIS. Your website has been allocated 20%
> CPU and 800 MB of virtual memory. We set the limits to prevent any one
> site from impacting server performance. IIS will restart your
> application pool if these limits are exceeded. Your website will
> display the "Service Unavailable" error while it is restarted.
>
> If you find that this is happening, you will want to audit your scripts
> to reduce resource usage.
>
> If the error seems to happen randomly during the day and cannot be
> linked to one or more specific scripts, then you are probably exceeding
> our virtual memory limit. You can try to reduce memory by reducing
> your per-session memory demands (session variables, objects, etc.)
> and/or by reducing your total sessions (for example, by decreasing your
> session timeout).
>
> If the error is triggered by a particular script, then you will want to
> first audit the script for high CPU usage. In particular, make sure
> that the script doesn't have any infinite loop conditions.
>
> -------------------------------
> The points mentioned above was suggested earlier....But How to rectify
> this error or atleast the process to find out which of the script pages
> have errors which eat lot virtual memory.
>
> We are runing a site with asp and database as sql...any help on this
> account..

Look at all the instances on your pages where you have
Server.CreateObject("<someprogid>"). Are you always creating objects late
and (explicitly) closing them early? Are you putting COM objects in session
or application variables? Have you got a load of session variables that
would be better stored in a db? Have you got loads of string concatenation
going on?

Here's some more stuff to consider:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...s/asptips.mspx

--
Mike Brind

Firas S Assaad

I had this issue a lot in the past.
The most common reasons are:
1. You are opening connections or recordsets to the database but not
clossing them
2. Running long loops, for example if you want to lookup for a record
in the database you could either
a. Run a loop through all the records to find the one you want,
or
b. Open a SQL Statement that only gets the record for you.
so if you are using the way "a" then this could cause the problem

to be able to track the error, i would suggest that you run part by
part of the page that is mainly causing the error
and a little tip: you might want to keep an eye on the pages that take
a long time to load according to other pages.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad