Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > POST url based upon item selected in dropdown list (sounds Simple)

POST url based upon item selected in dropdown list (sounds Simple)

SA SA

Is this possible? I have three items in drop down "Select Payment
Type", "Credit Card" and "Check". if user select Credit card then i
need to post the form variables to different URL than check selecting.

Thanks for your help in advance.

suresh

....... Method="POST", Action= & url ........

IF (dropdown.index =1)
{
url = "http://somebank.com/1/post.asp"
}

IF (dropdown.index =2)
{
url = "http://somebank.com/2/post.asp"

}

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Using client-side script, you can accomplish this, but be very, very certain
that you want to rely on this instead of creating a server-side solution...

<form id="x" method="post" action="default.asp">
<select name="s"
onchange="document.getElementById('x').action=this .value;">
<option value="default.asp">Select Payment Type</option>
<option value="cc.asp">Credit Card</option>
<option value="check.asp">Check</option>
</select>
</form>
Test it:
<input type="button" onclick="alert(document.getElementById('x').action );"
value="Show Form Action" />

Ray at work

"SA SA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Is this possible? I have three items in drop down "Select Payment
> Type", "Credit Card" and "Check". if user select Credit card then i
> need to post the form variables to different URL than check selecting.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> suresh
>

> ...... Method="POST", Action= & url ........
>
> IF (dropdown.index =1)
> {
> url = "http://somebank.com/1/post.asp"
> }
>
> IF (dropdown.index =2)
> {
> url = "http://somebank.com/2/post.asp"
>
> }

SA SA

Ray,
thanks for your tip however you planted doubt on my mind about relaying
on client side script. This is what i have so far works well except
when user presses back botton everything out of wack. Is there way to
do this on server side?

thanks
sa

<form name="t1" id="x" method="post" action="refresh" onsubmit=" return
confirm1_dropdown()">

<select name="s"
onchange="document.getElementById('x').action=this .value;">
<option value="default.asp">Select Payment Type</option>
<option value="https://somebank.com/Pay/1/Gateway.aspx">Credit
Card</option>
<option value="https://somebank.com/Pay/2/Gateway.aspx">Check
Payment</option>
</select>

<input type="hidden" Value ="Account Balance"
name="PMT_TYPE_DESC" >
<input type="hidden" Value ="701" name="PMT_TYPE" >
<input type="hidden" Value ="701" name="AMOUNT_PAID" >
<input type="hidden" Value ="2718" name="ACCOUNT" >
<input type="hidden" Value ="ABC" name="STUDENT_LASTNAME" >
<input type="submit" value="Pay Now" ID ="x" ></p>
</form>

<script Language="JavaScript">
<!--
function confirm1_dropdown()
{
if (t1.s.selectedIndex == 0)
{
alert("Please select a payment type.");
t1.s.focus();
return (false);
}
return (true);
}

//--></script>

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Are you posting the form data to a third party site, meaning you don't have
control over the server that needs to receive the post data?

Ray at work

"SA SA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Ray,
> thanks for your tip however you planted doubt on my mind about relaying
> on client side script. This is what i have so far works well except
> when user presses back botton everything out of wack. Is there way to
> do this on server side?
>
> thanks
> sa

> <form name="t1" id="x" method="post" action="refresh" onsubmit=" return
> confirm1_dropdown()">
>
> <select name="s"
> onchange="document.getElementById('x').action=this .value;">
> <option value="default.asp">Select Payment Type</option>
> <option value="https://somebank.com/Pay/1/Gateway.aspx">Credit
> Card</option>
> <option value="https://somebank.com/Pay/2/Gateway.aspx">Check
> Payment</option>

SA SA

That's true

Ray Costanzo [MVP] wrote:
> Are you posting the form data to a third party site, meaning you don't have
> control over the server that needs to receive the post data?
>
> Ray at work
>

> "SA SA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > Ray,
> > thanks for your tip however you planted doubt on my mind about relaying
> > on client side script. This is what i have so far works well except
> > when user presses back botton everything out of wack. Is there way to
> > do this on server side?
> >
> > thanks
> > sa

> > <form name="t1" id="x" method="post" action="refresh" onsubmit=" return
> > confirm1_dropdown()">
> >
> > <select name="s"
> > onchange="document.getElementById('x').action=this .value;">
> > <option value="default.asp">Select Payment Type</option>
> > <option value="https://somebank.com/Pay/1/Gateway.aspx">Credit
> > Card</option>
> > <option value="https://somebank.com/Pay/2/Gateway.aspx">Check
> > Payment</option>

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

In that case, I swing back to the other side and suggest that you DO rely on
client-side script. Either that, or have the user select his payment type
on one page, post that data back to YOUR server, and then present him with a
form with the appropriate action value already set based on server-side
logic.