Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > creating bulk email through cdosys.dll

creating bulk email through cdosys.dll

RedMoosh

is it possible to rn a client side vbscript to send messages using
cdo.message and cdo.configuration? what are the requirements to do this? my
wks are xp and 2000 and all have cdosys.dll registered. do i have to have
outlook express loaded. i have workstations that don't have outlook but
rather lotus notes and want to send email to an smtp server. these emails
have local attachment thus the need to run client script versus server
scripts. is this possible or am i on the wrong track.

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

You are most likely on the wrong track.

1. Client-side vbscript is a bad choice.
2. This isn't a client-side group
3. Why would you want to send e-mail from a CLIENT machine? This is what
the server is for!
4. Lotus Notes? Please relay my condolences to those users.

Ray at work

"RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> is it possible to rn a client side vbscript to send messages using
> cdo.message and cdo.configuration? what are the requirements to do this?
> my
> wks are xp and 2000 and all have cdosys.dll registered. do i have to have
> outlook express loaded. i have workstations that don't have outlook but
> rather lotus notes and want to send email to an smtp server. these emails
> have local attachment thus the need to run client script versus server
> scripts. is this possible or am i on the wrong track.

RedMoosh

we need to send bulk email, sometimes to 3000 users, and each email can have
3 or 4 attachments. the user/client has access to the attachments not the
server. why should the server be using its resources while the client is
doing nothing. how am i on the wrong track?

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

> You are most likely on the wrong track.
>
> 1. Client-side vbscript is a bad choice.
> 2. This isn't a client-side group
> 3. Why would you want to send e-mail from a CLIENT machine? This is what
> the server is for!
> 4. Lotus Notes? Please relay my condolences to those users.
>
> Ray at work
>
> "RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > is it possible to rn a client side vbscript to send messages using
> > cdo.message and cdo.configuration? what are the requirements to do this?
> > my
> > wks are xp and 2000 and all have cdosys.dll registered. do i have to have
> > outlook express loaded. i have workstations that don't have outlook but
> > rather lotus notes and want to send email to an smtp server. these emails
> > have local attachment thus the need to run client script versus server
> > scripts. is this possible or am i on the wrong track.

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Have the user upload the docs and let the server handle the e-mailing. If
you're creating a Web-app, let the Web server do the work. The client may
or may not be sitting there doing nothing, but what the client is or isn't
doing is not relevant in the world of Web-based programming. You have to
assume that your client is nothing more than a Web browser, for the most
part.

Ray at work

"RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> we need to send bulk email, sometimes to 3000 users, and each email can
> have
> 3 or 4 attachments. the user/client has access to the attachments not the
> server. why should the server be using its resources while the client is
> doing nothing. how am i on the wrong track?
>
> "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You are most likely on the wrong track.
>>
>> 1. Client-side vbscript is a bad choice.
>> 2. This isn't a client-side group
>> 3. Why would you want to send e-mail from a CLIENT machine? This is
>> what
>> the server is for!
>> 4. Lotus Notes? Please relay my condolences to those users.
>>
>> Ray at work
>>
>> "RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > is it possible to rn a client side vbscript to send messages using
>> > cdo.message and cdo.configuration? what are the requirements to do
>> > this?
>> > my
>> > wks are xp and 2000 and all have cdosys.dll registered. do i have to
>> > have
>> > outlook express loaded. i have workstations that don't have outlook
>> > but
>> > rather lotus notes and want to send email to an smtp server. these
>> > emails
>> > have local attachment thus the need to run client script versus server
>> > scripts. is this possible or am i on the wrong track.

Mike Brind

I assume that your workstations are connected to the Internet through your
server? If this is the case, then the server will be doing the bulk of the
work anyway. The creation of the email itself is not that resource
intensive compared to the log jam that will be caused to your network when
trying to squeeze 3,000 emails with attachments through it.

Is sending attachments the best way to achieve what you want? What about
providing links in the email so that recipients can download the docs from
your server if they need/want to?

Also, in answer to the question, why should the server be doing the work -
that's what they are intended for. If yours isn't up to it, you should
upgrade - and that's even more reason for you to rethink your approach.

Nevertheless, if you still want to go the route you propose, have a look at
..vbs files on each workstation under the task scheduler, ensure that an SMTP
service is running on each machine, and follow up in a more appropriate
group such as microsoft.public.scripting.wsh.

--
Mike Brind

"RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> we need to send bulk email, sometimes to 3000 users, and each email can
> have
> 3 or 4 attachments. the user/client has access to the attachments not the
> server. why should the server be using its resources while the client is
> doing nothing. how am i on the wrong track?
>
> "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You are most likely on the wrong track.
>>
>> 1. Client-side vbscript is a bad choice.
>> 2. This isn't a client-side group
>> 3. Why would you want to send e-mail from a CLIENT machine? This is
>> what
>> the server is for!
>> 4. Lotus Notes? Please relay my condolences to those users.
>>
>> Ray at work
>>
>> "RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > is it possible to rn a client side vbscript to send messages using
>> > cdo.message and cdo.configuration? what are the requirements to do
>> > this?
>> > my
>> > wks are xp and 2000 and all have cdosys.dll registered. do i have to
>> > have
>> > outlook express loaded. i have workstations that don't have outlook
>> > but
>> > rather lotus notes and want to send email to an smtp server. these
>> > emails
>> > have local attachment thus the need to run client script versus server
>> > scripts. is this possible or am i on the wrong track.

redmoosh

thanks for all your emails.

Yes. the workstations are connected to the internet. i don't
understand what you mean by log jam. you mean if i were to create
these emails with attachments on the client and then send them to the
SMTP server, then the network will be jammed up. or it will be jammed
up no matter if it is running on the server or the client.

we can't provide link because we will have to keep these documents on
the server forever and that is not possible. we want to send the docs
and then delete them.

if we were to use the client cdosys.dll to create the email, then why
do we have to have SMTP services running on each client? i don't
understand why we would need .vbs to ensure smtp services is running.

Mike Brind wrote:
> I assume that your workstations are connected to the Internet through your
> server? If this is the case, then the server will be doing the bulk of the
> work anyway. The creation of the email itself is not that resource
> intensive compared to the log jam that will be caused to your network when
> trying to squeeze 3,000 emails with attachments through it.
>
> Is sending attachments the best way to achieve what you want? What about
> providing links in the email so that recipients can download the docs from
> your server if they need/want to?
>
> Also, in answer to the question, why should the server be doing the work -
> that's what they are intended for. If yours isn't up to it, you should
> upgrade - and that's even more reason for you to rethink your approach.
>
> Nevertheless, if you still want to go the route you propose, have a look at
> .vbs files on each workstation under the task scheduler, ensure that an SMTP
> service is running on each machine, and follow up in a more appropriate
> group such as microsoft.public.scripting.wsh.
>
> --
> Mike Brind
>

> "RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > we need to send bulk email, sometimes to 3000 users, and each email can
> > have
> > 3 or 4 attachments. the user/client has access to the attachments not the
> > server. why should the server be using its resources while the client is
> > doing nothing. how am i on the wrong track?
> >
> > "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You are most likely on the wrong track.
> >>
> >> 1. Client-side vbscript is a bad choice.
> >> 2. This isn't a client-side group
> >> 3. Why would you want to send e-mail from a CLIENT machine? This is
> >> what
> >> the server is for!
> >> 4. Lotus Notes? Please relay my condolences to those users.
> >>
> >> Ray at work
> >>
> >> "RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

cdosys needs an smtp server to connect to. This really is the wrong
approach though. I promise.

Ray at work

"redmoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> thanks for all your emails.
>
> Yes. the workstations are connected to the internet. i don't
> understand what you mean by log jam. you mean if i were to create
> these emails with attachments on the client and then send them to the
> SMTP server, then the network will be jammed up. or it will be jammed
> up no matter if it is running on the server or the client.
>
> we can't provide link because we will have to keep these documents on
> the server forever and that is not possible. we want to send the docs
> and then delete them.
>
> if we were to use the client cdosys.dll to create the email, then why
> do we have to have SMTP services running on each client? i don't
> understand why we would need .vbs to ensure smtp services is running.

RedMoosh

thanks for your concern. but what would be the correct approach?
do you know

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

> cdosys needs an smtp server to connect to. This really is the wrong
> approach though. I promise.
>
> Ray at work
>
> "redmoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > thanks for all your emails.
> >
> > Yes. the workstations are connected to the internet. i don't
> > understand what you mean by log jam. you mean if i were to create
> > these emails with attachments on the client and then send them to the
> > SMTP server, then the network will be jammed up. or it will be jammed
> > up no matter if it is running on the server or the client.
> >
> > we can't provide link because we will have to keep these documents on
> > the server forever and that is not possible. we want to send the docs
> > and then delete them.
> >
> > if we were to use the client cdosys.dll to create the email, then why
> > do we have to have SMTP services running on each client? i don't
> > understand why we would need .vbs to ensure smtp services is running.

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Yes, using your server to send the e-mails would be the correct approach.
Give the person a simple file-upload interface, and then let the server
handle the e-mailing after accepting the uploads. If you're worried about
the time that it will take to process the e-mails and you don't want your
user waiting for confirmation, you could response.flush out a "thanks,
finished" message, and let the script continue. Or, do it in .Net and start
a separate thread to handle it.

Ray at work

"RedMoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanks for your concern. but what would be the correct approach?
> do you know
>
> "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> cdosys needs an smtp server to connect to. This really is the wrong
>> approach though. I promise.
>>
>> Ray at work
>>
>> "redmoosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> > thanks for all your emails.
>> >
>> > Yes. the workstations are connected to the internet. i don't
>> > understand what you mean by log jam. you mean if i were to create
>> > these emails with attachments on the client and then send them to the
>> > SMTP server, then the network will be jammed up. or it will be jammed
>> > up no matter if it is running on the server or the client.
>> >
>> > we can't provide link because we will have to keep these documents on
>> > the server forever and that is not possible. we want to send the docs
>> > and then delete them.
>> >
>> > if we were to use the client cdosys.dll to create the email, then why
>> > do we have to have SMTP services running on each client? i don't
>> > understand why we would need .vbs to ensure smtp services is running.

RedMoosh

Sorry Ray. my message had been cut off. i did not mean to write "do you
know?" it had more to it but was earased.

thanks
i am reviewing my choices with my team members to see what they want to do.