Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > site generated email

site generated email

Hugh Welford

Hi - I run a small community site, which depends on members getting update
emails, which are generated by cdo.message. We have 2 problems with this

1. people change email without notifying - is there any way of verifying an
address before sending?

2. hotmail etc are very aggressive in their anti-spam defenses, and
mis-interpret out innocent emails as spam and send them to the junk folder
where they never get read. I know this is not the right place for a
discussion on this, but I would be very grateful if someone could point me
in the right direction to a solution to this problem. There must be a
protocol - a right way - to get genuine emails delivered to the inbox - any
one have a website address, personal experience, books etc - anything
please that will set us in the right direction for a solution

Thanks

Hugh Welford
Online Connect Ltd.

Mike Brind

"Hugh Welford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - I run a small community site, which depends on members getting update
> emails, which are generated by cdo.message. We have 2 problems with this
>
> 1. people change email without notifying - is there any way of verifying
> an address before sending?

There are tools that purport to do this. I've tried one from hexillion
(http://hexillion.com/) with some success. But not enough to get me to buy
it.

> 2. hotmail etc are very aggressive in their anti-spam defenses, and
> mis-interpret out innocent emails as spam and send them to the junk folder
> where they never get read. I know this is not the right place for a
> discussion on this, but I would be very grateful if someone could point me
> in the right direction to a solution to this problem. There must be a
> protocol - a right way - to get genuine emails delivered to the inbox -
> any one have a website address, personal experience, books etc - anything
> please that will set us in the right direction for a solution

The only way to get past the hotmail defence is to get recipients to add the
email address in your from field to their contacts list. Same with most
other spam filters. You need to get added to the whitelist. This is the
only "protocol" I know of that works.

--
Mike Brind

Daniel Crichton

Hugh wrote on Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:34:12 +0100:

> 2. hotmail etc are very aggressive in their anti-spam defenses, and
> mis-interpret out innocent emails as spam and send them to the junk folder
> where they never get read. I know this is not the right place for a
> discussion on this, but I would be very grateful if someone could point me
> in the right direction to a solution to this problem. There must be a
> protocol - a right way - to get genuine emails delivered to the inbox -
> any one have a website address, personal experience, books etc - anything
> please that will set us in the right direction for a solution

If there was a way, don't you think the spammers would be using it to bypass
the spam filtering on Hotmail?

Dan