Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Read, Edit and Save Word Document over http:// path

Read, Edit and Save Word Document over http:// path

JohnSouth

Hi

I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
helpful.

I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
edit the content and then update the document on the server.

I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
get a "read only" message when I try to save.

I'm happy to code httpRequest objects or Word automation,if necessary,
but I need to resulting procedure to be intuitive for the user.

Has anyone got this working?

Cheers

John South
Pangbourne UK
www.WhereCanWeGo.com

Slim

"JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
> helpful.
>
> I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
> directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
> edit the content and then update the document on the server.
>
> I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
> get a "read only" message when I try to save.

do you have front page extentions installed?
do you have write permissions to the files?

> I'm happy to code httpRequest objects or Word automation,if necessary,
> but I need to resulting procedure to be intuitive for the user.
>
> Has anyone got this working?
>
> Cheers
>
> John South
> Pangbourne UK
> www.WhereCanWeGo.com

JohnSouth

No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.

John South

Slim wrote:
> "JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
> > helpful.
> >
> > I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
> > directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
> > edit the content and then update the document on the server.
> >
> > I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
> > get a "read only" message when I try to save.

> do you have front page extentions installed?
> do you have write permissions to the files?
>

> > I'm happy to code httpRequest objects or Word automation,if necessary,
> > but I need to resulting procedure to be intuitive for the user.
> >
> > Has anyone got this working?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > John South
> > Pangbourne UK
> > www.WhereCanWeGo.com

Slim

"JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
> Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.

You need front page extensions installed to be able to save word docs onto
the server.

> John South
>
> Slim wrote:
>> "JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I've seen lots of posts around this subject but nothing recent or very
>> > helpful.
>> >
>> > I've an ASP.Net c# application that needs to read Word documents from a
>> > directory on the web server, open them in Word from the client browser,
>> > edit the content and then update the document on the server.
>> >
>> > I can almost do it by pasting the url into the "Save As" location but I
>> > get a "read only" message when I try to save.

>> do you have front page extentions installed?
>> do you have write permissions to the files?
>>

>> > I'm happy to code httpRequest objects or Word automation,if necessary,
>> > but I need to resulting procedure to be intuitive for the user.
>> >
>> > Has anyone got this working?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > John South
>> > Pangbourne UK
>> > www.WhereCanWeGo.com

JohnSouth

I've installed FrontPage extensions but it has not helped. The Word
document opened from the http:// url is still read-only when I try to
save it back. Is there anything else I should look at Slim?

John South
Slim wrote:
> "JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > No, I don't have frontpage extensions installed.
> > Yes, I do have write permissions to the files both in IIS and Windows.
> >

> You need front page extensions installed to be able to save word docs onto
> the server.
>

> > John South
> >
> > Slim wrote:
> >> "JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> >> do you have front page extentions installed?
> >> do you have write permissions to the files?

Slim

"JohnSouth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I've installed FrontPage extensions but it has not helped. The Word
> document opened from the http:// url is still read-only when I try to
> save it back. Is there anything else I should look at Slim?

Yes frontpage persissions.

you need to giver your self author or administrator permissions for that
site