Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Flat File Security vs Database

Flat File Security vs Database

vunet.us@gmail.com

Hi,
I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
am new to it, I am wondering:

What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).

Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

McKirahan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
> I would like to use flat file data storage instead of database. Since I
> am new to it, I am wondering:
>
> What text file extension is a safe one to store my data online and how
> cost- and time-effective is this method (flat file data storage).
>
> Anyone can share thoughts? Thanks

Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
<% Response.End %>
then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

Or, the first line could redirect them to another page:
<% Response.Redirect("http://www.google.com/") %>

In case you want to reconsider:

How do I create a database from ASP?
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...e-from-asp.htm

vunet.us@gmail.com

> Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

Faster, cheaper.

> Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

No, I thought of complete database replacement. ASP File System Object
would read/write and do all database stuff instead

> Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

I did not consider that. How would it happen?

> How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

Not much, but I wonder what are the limits? What size if acceptable?

> If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
> <% Response.End %>
> then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

Thanks for the hint

Jason Simmons

dude, just use an access database.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

>> Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

> Faster, cheaper.
>
>> Is it for read-only purposes? (Session variables could be used.)

> No, I thought of complete database replacement. ASP File System Object
> would read/write and do all database stuff instead
>
>> Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

> I did not consider that. How would it happen?
>
>> How much data (how many lines / bytes) are you talking about?

> Not much, but I wonder what are the limits? What size if acceptable?
>

>> If you use the ".asp" extension and the first line is:
>> <% Response.End %>
>> then visitors cannot directly access your flat file via a URL.

> Thanks for the hint

vunet.us@gmail.com

I do... so...

McKirahan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

> Faster, cheaper.

What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.

Also, "cheaper" how?
If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

A flat file might be fine for you to maintain a list of Contacts
but not for multiple users reading and rewriting to it frequently.

> > Concurrent updates would be a problem with multiple users.

> I did not consider that. How would it happen?

One kludgy technique would be so set a "lock" whenever a user is
working with the file and "unlock" it when they're done. Subsequent
users would find the "lock" on and could update the file.

File Lock in ASP
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=122155

Mike Brind

McKirahan wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of database"?

> > Faster, cheaper.

> What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
>
> Also, "cheaper" how?
> If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
create his database. That's, ermmmm, 40.00 or so more expensive than
the mid-range Office offer? Or about 80.00 more expensive than the
"standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
pause for thought....

--
Mike Brind

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Mike Brind wrote:
> McKirahan wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>>
>>> Faster, cheaper.

>> What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
>>
>> Also, "cheaper" how?
>> If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

> The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
> create his database.

Why? As long as MDAC and the Jet components (free download from MS) is
loaded, a database can be created in its entiredty using a combination of
ADOX and SQL DDL.

If you want the design-time experience provided by Access, that's another
story.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

McKirahan

"Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

McKirahan wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > > Why would you "like to use flat file data storage instead of

database"?

> > Faster, cheaper.

> What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
>
> Also, "cheaper" how?
> If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
create his database. That's, ermmmm, 40.00 or so more expensive than
the mid-range Office offer? Or about 80.00 more expensive than the
"standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
pause for thought....

So you missed the link in my first posting...

How do I create a database from ASP?
URL:http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...abase-from-asp
..html

No copy of MS-Access needed -- if the Web host supports it.

MDAC is required which "has shipped as part of the Windows Operating System
since Windows 98" per URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/learning/MDAC

Google on: Create Access Database with ADOX

Then there's MySQL which is free; again, if the Web host supports it.

Mike Brind

McKirahan wrote:
> "Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> McKirahan wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> database"?
> > >
> > > Faster, cheaper.

> > What makes you think that it will be faster and cheaper.
> >
> > Also, "cheaper" how?
> > If your Web host supports MS-Access then there's no cost.

> The poster still needs a copy of Office Professional to be able to
> create his database. That's, ermmmm, 40.00 or so more expensive than
> the mid-range Office offer? Or about 80.00 more expensive than the
> "standard" (Word, Excel,Outlook only) version. Enough to make anyone
> pause for thought....
>

> So you missed the link in my first posting...

Correct. I did. And I completely forgot about ADOX/DDL.

--
Mike Brind