Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > The Lounge > 10-7-05 The day of mourning...

10-7-05 The day of mourning...

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

Yesterday I came home to find my laptop (the laptop reviewed here: http://velocityreviews.com/review11.php) dead... All that I can do for it is transfer the old files...
For those wondering, it turns on, yet doesn't post and nothing is on the screen. When I hooked the HD to my desktop, the HD blue screens and restarts.

Bio-Hazard Bio-Hazard is offline
Senior Member
Location: Back Woods of MO

RIP Mr Laptop

XhArD XhArD is offline
Senior Member
Location: Queensland, Australia

any idea what killed it? personal mistake or just something rooted itself without your help?

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

i reckon u mighta had a surge???? or is US power stable enough?
Laptops dont take kindly to surges... mainly because its all low voltage stuff inside.
So RIP Mr Laptop.

The Modfather The Modfather is offline
Senior Member
The Modfather's Avatar

Friends, we are gathered here today to remember a fallen comrad in arms. Let us take a moment of silence and bow our heads for this valiant laptop who was taken long before his time.
<bowing head>

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Let this day be known as Mr Laptop Day, we shall all pay tribute by not working, and partying as he was such a good laptop!

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

I have no idea what killed it. It worked perfectly fine when I used it in the morning, then I come home and it doesn't work... No surges during the day (and it is on a surge protector anyways).

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

mabye overheated?, was it on or off when u left it?

Silverstrand Silverstrand is offline
Senior Member
Silverstrand's Avatar
Location: Wisconsin

It was off. I can't leave computers on all day, my parents freak because of power bills.

bigal bigal is offline
Senior Member
bigal's Avatar
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

...remove the battery, wait a minute, and replace the battery. Try holding down the insert key a few times during the initial boot cycle to see if you get video and into the bios. Maybe the backlight for the screen burned out. Try hooking up an external monitor. Your hard drive probably would not boot another machine, since it looks for certain hardware to be present. Let us know how these checks work out.
And if that doesn't do it.....you know who to blame!!!!!!