Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Session Lost when opening Word Doc

Session Lost when opening Word Doc

DigitalFusion

Hello All,

I have an app on an intranet which uses the response.contenttype in
ASP to create a word doc. The issue I am having is that when this doc
is generated and opened, the session is lost. We have tried everything
up to this point, setting timeout in IIS, refresh scripts, etc, until
we realized it has something to to do with the Word document.

I have spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out, or find an
answer online. I have come across a few other posts, but no one
repsonded to them. I am desperate for help!

Anthony Jones

"DigitalFusion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello All,
>
> I have an app on an intranet which uses the response.contenttype in
> ASP to create a word doc. The issue I am having is that when this doc
> is generated and opened, the session is lost. We have tried everything
> up to this point, setting timeout in IIS, refresh scripts, etc, until
> we realized it has something to to do with the Word document.
>
> I have spent a LOT of time trying to figure this out, or find an
> answer online. I have come across a few other posts, but no one
> repsonded to them. I am desperate for help!

How have you come to the conclusion that the session is lost?
Does the word document open in the browser window or is it downloaded and
run in Word?
What browser are you using?

Michaelk

Pretty sure it's not exactly what you were doing, but I just opened a few
word documents
in the same browser where was runing asp pages. Got back on the original
page, and have same session id
and all session variables in place. So seems the Word itself didn't kill my
session.
In any case can you fire up new window with asp generating and opening this
this doc?
And may be at the same time on origianl page fire some easy process on timer
30-40 sec to keep it alive,
just in case if somebody will be sitting and reading your word doc too long.

Regards,
Michael