Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Cannot read cookie values from within a frame

Cannot read cookie values from within a frame

Marcos

Hi,

This may or may not be a simple question, but I have been able to find
an answer to this issue in all my searches.

In an ASP application, I'm creating a cookie that stores a username
from pageA.asp

I then try to read the cookie from pageB.asp, which is inside a frame
of pageC.asp.

The problem is I can't read it from pageB.asp. Can anyone please help?

NOTE: If I make pageB.asp as a standalone page without being called
from the frame in pageC.asp, THEN I can read the cookie. But this is
not what I want.

If this wasn't clear please do let me know.

Thanks heaps,
Marcos

Daniel Crichton

Marcos wrote on 17 Aug 2006 20:42:32 -0700:

> Hi,
>
> This may or may not be a simple question, but I have been able to find
> an answer to this issue in all my searches.
>
> In an ASP application, I'm creating a cookie that stores a username
> from pageA.asp
>
> I then try to read the cookie from pageB.asp, which is inside a frame
> of pageC.asp.
>
> The problem is I can't read it from pageB.asp. Can anyone please help?
>
> NOTE: If I make pageB.asp as a standalone page without being called
> from the frame in pageC.asp, THEN I can read the cookie. But this is
> not what I want.
>
> If this wasn't clear please do let me know.
>
> Thanks heaps,
> Marcos

Are you using IE6 for testing? Is it a normal frame, or an iframe? IE6
blocks cookies to iframes as part of it's security.

Dan

Dave Anderson

Daniel Crichton wrote:
> Are you using IE6 for testing? Is it a normal frame, or an
> iframe? IE6 blocks cookies to iframes as part of it's
> security.

That is only partially true. IE weighs several factors, including security
zone, machine settings, and P3P headers, when deciding whether to share
cookies (and thus sessions) across frames.

--
Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Marcos wrote:
> This may or may not be a simple question, but I have been
> able to find an answer to this issue in all my searches.

I assume you mean you have NOT been able...

> In an ASP application, I'm creating a cookie that stores a
> username from pageA.asp
>
> I then try to read the cookie from pageB.asp, which is inside
> a frame of pageC.asp.
>
> The problem is I can't read it from pageB.asp. Can anyone please
> help?

Strictly speaking, this is not an ASP issue. It is an Internet Explorer
issue. Specifically, IE 5.01 and higher.

To confirm that it is not an ASP issue, try using any browser that does not
use the IE engine, such as Opera or Firefox.

To address your IE woes, take a gander here:
http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general...les-stick.html

--
Dave Anderson

Marcos

Daniel Crichton wrote:

> Are you using IE6 for testing? Is it a normal frame, or an iframe? IE6
> blocks cookies to iframes as part of it's security.

It's a normal frame and I'm using IE6.

I'm still having the issue by the way, so any thoughts would still be
appreciated.

Thanks.