Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > newbie stupid question on forms

newbie stupid question on forms

mandeelea

i have a form that i've written in html and need to user to be able to submit it (more user entered information than just checking one box, but less than a written essay). i understand that having the form "mailto:" is a bad idea and i have access to asp, but i have no idea what to do. do i have the file uploaded to a database or do i have it email it to me (and how is this different than "mailto:")? basically i'm a bit lost as to what exactly "asp" is and which option is best (easiest for me and most "foolproof" for the user). any advice is appreciated.

McKirahan

<mandeelea> wrote in message news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> i have a form that i've written in html and need to user to be able to

submit it (more user entered information than just checking one box, but
less than a written essay). i understand that having the form "mailto:" is a
bad idea and i have access to asp, but i have no idea what to do. do i have
the file uploaded to a database or do i have it email it to me (and how is
this different than "mailto:")? basically i'm a bit lost as to what exactly
"asp" is and which option is best (easiest for me and most "foolproof" for
the user). any advice is appreciated.

What do you want to do -- insert it into a database, email it, or what?

Here's a sample that will ask for an e-mail address and then display it.

<% @Language="VBScript" %>
<% Option Explicit
Const cASP = "testform.asp"
Dim strEMA
strEMA = Request.Form("Email")
If strEMA <> "" Then
Response.Write "<b>" & strEMA & "</b>"
Response.End
End If
%>
<head>
<title><%=cASP%></title>
</head>
<form action="<%=cASP%>" method="post">
<b>Email Address :</b> &nbsp;
<input type="text" name="Email" size="30" maxlength="50">
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

If you want to insert it into a database then you'll have to find
out what your Web host supports -- perhaps MS-Access or SQL.

If you want to email it then you'll have to find out what your
Web host supports -- perhaps "ASPmail" or "CDONTS"...

Tim Slattery

mandeelea wrote:

>i have a form that i've written in html and need to user to be
>able to submit it (more user entered information than just
>checking one box, but less than a written essay). i understand
>that having the form "mailto:" is a bad idea and i have access to
>asp, but i have no idea what to do. do i have the file uploaded
>to a database or do i have it email it to me (and how is this
>different than "mailto:")? basically i'm a bit lost as to what exactly
>"asp" is and which option is best (easiest for me and most
>"foolproof" for the user). any advice is appreciated.

If you use a "mailto:" link you're depending on your user's email
client to send your data to you. If your user's client is not
configured correctly or if your user doesn't have email capability, it
won't work. Having your server-side process email the data to you will
always work, because it's entirely under your control. You know the
email software exists and is correctly configured, because you control
it.

ASP is a platform for server-side processing. ASP pages can retrieve
the data your user submits, they can stick it in a database (if you
have one available), they can email it to you, they can echo it back
to the user, or anything else you can think of. Since this runs on the
server - which you control - you can be sure that it will work.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

stupid, STUPID question! rincewind HTML 25 05-08-2009 01:07 PM
stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM

Advertisments