Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > text wont format from a form - email

text wont format from a form - email

Advo

Hi there, basically ive got a script which takes information from a
form, passes it to the .asp page and then emails a certain department.

This is what im getting in the emails: notice how the AddyLine 2 is
over, <it needs a space> and the same for Addy Line 4.

Address:::

Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
Addy Line 3 addy 4th

It should look like:

Address:::

Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
Addy Line 3 addy 4th

See how its all aligned now.

This is the code thats used:

" Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
VbCrLf & _
VbCrLf & _

Any ideas please?

Muchly apreciated

Mike Brind

Advo wrote:
> Hi there, basically ive got a script which takes information from a
> form, passes it to the .asp page and then emails a certain department.
>
> This is what im getting in the emails: notice how the AddyLine 2 is
> over, <it needs a space> and the same for Addy Line 4.
>
> Address:::
>
> Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
> Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
> Addy Line 3 addy 4th
>
> It should look like:
>
> Address:::
>
> Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
> Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
> Addy Line 3 addy 4th
>
> See how its all aligned now.
>
> This is the code thats used:
>
> " Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
> VbCrLf & _
> VbCrLf & _
>
> Any ideas please?

Ermm... Get rid of the space? No. Sorry. That answer is so
blindingly obvious I must have missed something...

--
Mike Brind

Advo

we need the first space, but we also need the other spaces for the
other lines too, so each line has a space.

Mike Brind wrote:
> Advo wrote:
> > Hi there, basically ive got a script which takes information from a
> > form, passes it to the .asp page and then emails a certain department.
> >
> > This is what im getting in the emails: notice how the AddyLine 2 is
> > over, <it needs a space> and the same for Addy Line 4.
> >
> > Address:::
> >
> > Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
> > Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
> > Addy Line 3 addy 4th
> >
> > It should look like:
> >
> > Address:::
> >
> > Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
> > Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
> > Addy Line 3 addy 4th
> >
> > See how its all aligned now.
> >
> > This is the code thats used:
> >
> > " Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
> > VbCrLf & _
> > VbCrLf & _
> >
> > Any ideas please?
> >

> Ermm... Get rid of the space? No. Sorry. That answer is so
> blindingly obvious I must have missed something...
>
> --
> Mike Brind

Mike Brind

You didn't provide the code to show us what you did with the second and
third lines. Since these are the ones you are having trouble with,
sight of your code would be useful.

--
Mike Brind

Advo wrote:
> we need the first space, but we also need the other spaces for the
> other lines too, so each line has a space.
>

> Mike Brind wrote:
> > Advo wrote:
> > > Hi there, basically ive got a script which takes information from a
> > > form, passes it to the .asp page and then emails a certain department.
> > >
> > > This is what im getting in the emails: notice how the AddyLine 2 is
> > > over, <it needs a space> and the same for Addy Line 4.
> > >
> > > Address:::
> > >
> > > Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
> > > Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
> > > Addy Line 3 addy 4th
> > >
> > > It should look like:
> > >
> > > Address:::
> > >
> > > Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
> > > Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
> > > Addy Line 3 addy 4th
> > >
> > > See how its all aligned now.
> > >
> > > This is the code thats used:
> > >
> > > " Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
> > > VbCrLf & _
> > > VbCrLf & _
> > >
> > > Any ideas please?
> > >

> > Ermm... Get rid of the space? No. Sorry. That answer is so
> > blindingly obvious I must have missed something...
> >
> > --
> > Mike Brind

Advo

That is the only code thats in place at the moment. i can change it,
but this is the first time ive looked at it really.

all that does is really look after the first line then i take it, so is
there a way i can acomodate for aditional lines by new lines or by
commas, depending on how they decide to use the text area.

Thanks for the time!

Mike Brind wrote:
> You didn't provide the code to show us what you did with the second and
> third lines. Since these are the ones you are having trouble with,
> sight of your code would be useful.
>
> --
> Mike Brind
>
> Advo wrote:
> > we need the first space, but we also need the other spaces for the
> > other lines too, so each line has a space.
> >

> > Mike Brind wrote:

> > > Ermm... Get rid of the space? No. Sorry. That answer is so
> > > blindingly obvious I must have missed something...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mike Brind

Mike Brind

Huh? How do you get the second and third line to display then? I
mean, the issue you described in the OP was that your lines (plural)
were not aligning, is that right? If so, you could only know that if
you were writing more than one line?

<quote>

This is what im getting in the emails: notice how the AddyLine 2 is
over, <it needs a space> and the same for Addy Line 4.

Address:::

Addy Line 1, Addy 2nd
Addy Line 2, Addy 3rd
Addy Line 3 addy 4th

<end quote>

Have I entered the twilight zone? I really have missed something,
haven't I?

--
Mike Brind

Advo wrote:
> That is the only code thats in place at the moment. i can change it,
> but this is the first time ive looked at it really.
>
> all that does is really look after the first line then i take it, so is
> there a way i can acomodate for aditional lines by new lines or by
> commas, depending on how they decide to use the text area.
>
> Thanks for the time!
>

> Mike Brind wrote:
> > You didn't provide the code to show us what you did with the second and
> > third lines. Since these are the ones you are having trouble with,
> > sight of your code would be useful.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Brind
> >
> > Advo wrote:
> > > we need the first space, but we also need the other spaces for the
> > > other lines too, so each line has a space.

Advo

i'll start again lol, sorry for all the confusion.

Basically, the address is stored in one variable, and we currently use
the code:

" Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
VbCrLf & _
VbCrLf & _

The way the other fields are set up, is that each line has a space
before it, such as:

Field1
Field2
Field3

but now because the address is out of line, its doing:

Field1
Field2
Field3
AddressLine1
AddressLine2
AddressLine3

If that makes any sense.

Basically i want to make it so that any lines after the addressLine1
also have spaces, which would result in an entry like:

Field1
Field2
Field3
AddressLine1
AddressLine2
AddressLine3

Cheers

Anthony Jones

"Advo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> i'll start again lol, sorry for all the confusion.
>
> Basically, the address is stored in one variable, and we currently use
> the code:
>
> " Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
> VbCrLf & _
> VbCrLf & _
>

> The way the other fields are set up, is that each line has a space
> before it, such as:
>
> Field1
> Field2
> Field3
>
> but now because the address is out of line, its doing:
>
> Field1
> Field2
> Field3
> AddressLine1
> AddressLine2
> AddressLine3
>
> If that makes any sense.
>
> Basically i want to make it so that any lines after the addressLine1
> also have spaces, which would result in an entry like:
>
> Field1
> Field2
> Field3
> AddressLine1
> AddressLine2
> AddressLine3
>

> Cheers

Replace(Request.Form("address") , vbCrLf, " " & vbCrLf)

Mike Brind

Anthony Jones wrote:
> "Advo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > i'll start again lol, sorry for all the confusion.
> >
> > Basically, the address is stored in one variable, and we currently use
> > the code:
> >
> > " Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
> > VbCrLf & _
> > VbCrLf & _
> >

> > The way the other fields are set up, is that each line has a space
> > before it, such as:
> >
> > Field1
> > Field2
> > Field3
> >
> > but now because the address is out of line, its doing:
> >
> > Field1
> > Field2
> > Field3
> > AddressLine1
> > AddressLine2
> > AddressLine3
> >
> > If that makes any sense.
> >
> > Basically i want to make it so that any lines after the addressLine1
> > also have spaces, which would result in an entry like:
> >
> > Field1
> > Field2
> > Field3
> > AddressLine1
> > AddressLine2
> > AddressLine3
> >

> > Cheers
> >

> Replace(Request.Form("address") , vbCrLf, " " & vbCrLf)

Surely Replace(Request.Form("address") , vbCrLf, vbCrLf & " " ) ? I
believe the OP wants to indent each line one space, not add a space
before the line break.

--
Mike Brind

Anthony Jones

"Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Anthony Jones wrote:
> > "Advo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > > i'll start again lol, sorry for all the confusion.
> > >
> > > Basically, the address is stored in one variable, and we currently use
> > > the code:
> > >
> > > " Address::: " & VbCrLf & VbCrLf & " " & Request.Form("address") & _
> > > VbCrLf & _
> > > VbCrLf & _
> > >

> > > The way the other fields are set up, is that each line has a space
> > > before it, such as:
> > >
> > > Field1
> > > Field2
> > > Field3
> > >
> > > but now because the address is out of line, its doing:
> > >
> > > Field1
> > > Field2
> > > Field3
> > > AddressLine1
> > > AddressLine2
> > > AddressLine3
> > >
> > > If that makes any sense.
> > >
> > > Basically i want to make it so that any lines after the addressLine1
> > > also have spaces, which would result in an entry like:
> > >
> > > Field1
> > > Field2
> > > Field3
> > > AddressLine1
> > > AddressLine2
> > > AddressLine3
> > >

> > > Cheers
> > >

> > Replace(Request.Form("address") , vbCrLf, " " & vbCrLf)

> Surely Replace(Request.Form("address") , vbCrLf, vbCrLf & " " ) ? I
> believe the OP wants to indent each line one space, not add a space
> before the line break.

oops well spotted