Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Setting up error pages

Setting up error pages

Stuart Palmer

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is an IIS query or ASP, however, I'll try here first.

I'm trying to create custom error pages where I can report to the user (and
email myself) when I get 404 errors. My problem isn't the asp code side (as
I have this working on my hosting companies server) but when I develop I
want to be able to have the same event occuring.

Basically I need to somehow set up or understand how my hosting companies
site provides a url that looks like
http://www.mydomain.com/errors/404.a...esnotexist.asp

At the moment it just shows http://www.mydomain.com/errors/404.asp so I
can't pull out the error type and path to the file that doesn't exists.

Is this somehow done with asp? or a setting in IIS?
I have lookd on the web and found stuff about URL mapping but it mentioned
virtual directories and such which I don't have on my site.

Any comments on how this is achieved (either coding or how to set it up in
IIS) would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers
Stu

Bob Barrows [MVP]

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2162
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Stuart Palmer

>>http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2162

Thanks, I had already found this page but it doesn't actually do what i want
it to do (even though it does describe what I want). By clicking the 'Here
is an example' link, it just prvoides a url but doesn't actually give me the
querystring format I am after (?404 instead all it does is keep the url
selected but show the 404 page.

Could his be a setting in my browser? or do I need to add some code in my
404 to process it as I would expect?

Stu