Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Dumb non-programmer question--what's redir.asp?

Dumb non-programmer question--what's redir.asp?

watha@monitortan.com

I found this code in a website and wondered whtat it does.

<A
href="http://webmail.ibew103.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true%26keyword=Mitt%2BRomney%26mode=al l%26sorting=pubdate"

target=_blank>

Why not just use the link to the Boston Herald directly? Why redirect
from
a webmail account?

Can anybody tell me? Thanks.

Evertjan.

wrote on 05 aug 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> I found this code in a website and wondered whtat it does.
>
> <A
> href="http://webmail.ibew103.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://news.
> bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true%26keyword=Mitt%2BRomney%26mode
> =all%26sorting=pubdate" target=_blank>
>
> Why not just use the link to the Boston Herald directly? Why redirect
> from a webmail account?

Perhaps registering that YOU are klicking this link or simply couting the
number of clicks.

Why do you think it is an "account"?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bobbo

> I found this code in a website and wondered whtat it does.
>
> <A
> href="http://webmail.ibew103.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true%26keyword=Mitt%2BRomney%26mode=al l%26sorting=pubdate"
>
> target=_blank>

It's quite common for sites to send external link redirections through
a tracking page, to gain information on which links users are clicking.
Sometimes this is to determine click-through data for accounting
purposes, other times its just for trend-monitoring [demographic??]
purposes.

Dumb, Dumb Vista Au79 Computer Support 4 02-11-2007 03:40 PM
Probably a dumb s/// question. Mark Healey Perl 2 03-16-2005 04:51 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion David Napierkowski Digital Photography 6 10-31-2004 11:14 PM
Re: Dumb question Walter Roberson Cisco 1 07-23-2003 01:05 PM

Advertisments