Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Cannot Update Error

Cannot Update Error

Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.

Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2 where
full details of that item are displayed.

Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object
is read-only.

I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before successfully.

Any idea?

Mike Brind

K wrote:
> Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.
>
> Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2 where
> full details of that item are displayed.
>
> Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:
>
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or object
> is read-only.
>
> I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before successfully.
>
> Any idea?

It might help if you provided the relevant code. Otherwise all anyone
can do is guess.

--
Mike Brind

Bob Barrows [MVP]

K wrote:
> Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.
>
> Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2
> where full details of that item are displayed.
>
> Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:
>
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or
> object is read-only.
>
> I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before
> successfully.
> Any idea?

Usually filesystem permissions problems. See
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

>> Having some peoblems with a small ASP app.
>>
>> Page 1 displays a list of items. Click an item and move to page 2
>> where full details of that item are displayed.
>>
>> Page 1 works fine, but page 2 always displays the following error:
>>
>> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
>> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update. Database or
>> object is read-only.
>>
>> I can't see anything wrong in the code I haven't used before
>> successfully.
>> Any idea?

> Usually filesystem permissions problems. See
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

Thanks

It was permissions. The IUSR account didn't have write permission to the
folder the DB was in.