Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > timeout expired

timeout expired

Simon Wigzell

Occassionaly I get the following error, always when storing a record:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Googling around I see ways of setting the expiry time but why is the
database not responding in the first place? It seems to me this has only
started to occur with MS Server 2003, I don't recall it happening in MS
Server 2000. It does seem to occur if the page has been idle for a while but
I couldn't swear to that. This is not a very busy server. We are not dealing
with a lot of records.

I have these settings in my asp pages header:

Server.ScriptTimeout = 50000
session.timeout = 1000

So it can't be my script or session timing out, the script is in seconds,
the session minutes, I'm talking about less than an hour that the page has
been idle.

thanks for any help.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Simon Wigzell wrote:
> Occassionaly I get the following error, always when storing a record:
>
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e31'
>
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Nothing to do with your problem, but why are you using ODBC?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

> Googling around I see ways of setting the expiry time but why is the
> database not responding in the first place?

Hard to say without knowing what you are trying to execute.

> It seems to me this has
> only started to occur with MS Server 2003, I don't recall it
> happening in MS Server 2000. It does seem to occur if the page has
> been idle for a while but I couldn't swear to that. This is not a
> very busy server. We are not dealing with a lot of records.
>
> I have these settings in my asp pages header:
>
> Server.ScriptTimeout = 50000
> session.timeout = 1000

These are totally irrelevant. Look at your error message. See where it's
coming from? Is it saying anything at all about a script timeout or a
session expiring?

This is an ADO timeout. Specifically a CommandTimeout. The ADO Connection
object has a CommandTimeout property. If you are using a Command object, it
also has that property.

This should help explain things:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2066

--