Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to pass a string between ASP pages

Reply
Thread Tools

How to pass a string between ASP pages

 
 
bonnie.tangyn@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
Hello All

Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
ASP pages?
I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
h_preview_email.asp

In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".

Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
database.

I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
user clicks the "email preview" button.

If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?

P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
pages.

Cheers
Bon

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Brind
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
> ASP pages?
> I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
> h_preview_email.asp
>
> In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
> content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
> the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".
>
> Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
> email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
> database.
>
> I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
> h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
> user clicks the "email preview" button.
>
> If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
> h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?
>
> P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
> pages.
>


You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
database, text file, hidden form field.

"Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.

--
Mike Brind

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CJM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006

"Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
> database, text file, hidden form field.
>
> "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
> you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.
>


Not forgetting Querystrings...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Brind
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006

CJM wrote:
> "Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> > You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
> > database, text file, hidden form field.
> >
> > "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
> > you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.
> >

>
> Not forgetting Querystrings...


Not really suitable for "long" strings....

--
Mike Brind

 
Reply With Quote
 
CJM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006

"Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> CJM wrote:
>> "Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> > You have a number of options among which are Session variables,
>> > database, text file, hidden form field.
>> >
>> > "Can't" change the page structure? Pity. Maintaining the structure
>> > you have devised adds loads of unnecessary complexity IMO.
>> >

>>
>> Not forgetting Querystrings...

>
> Not really suitable for "long" strings....
>



Begs the question... How long is this particular (piece of) string?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kyle Peterson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2006
http://www.powerasp.com/content/hintstips/asp-forms.asp

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello All
>
> Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
> ASP pages?
> I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
> h_preview_email.asp
>
> In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
> content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
> the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".
>
> Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
> email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
> database.
>
> I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
> h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
> user clicks the "email preview" button.
>
> If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
> h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?
>
> P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
> pages.
>
> Cheers
> Bon
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2006
The string I need to pass to another page is pretty long. I need to
pass:
- From email address(es)
- To email address(es)
- CC email address(es) [optional]
- whole email content (the email content is extracted from fields in
h_email_content.asp page.

ASP pages flow is:
h_email_content.asp -> h_process_email.asp -> h_email_preview.asp

If I use form hidden field, do I put a hidden field in
h_process_email.asp and put the email content string as a value to the
hidden field? Then, use Request.Form() to get the value in
h_email_preview.asp?

Cheers
Bon


Kyle Peterson 寫道:

> http://www.powerasp.com/content/hintstips/asp-forms.asp
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hello All
> >
> > Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
> > ASP pages?
> > I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
> > h_preview_email.asp
> >
> > In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
> > content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
> > the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".
> >
> > Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
> > email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
> > database.
> >
> > I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
> > h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
> > user clicks the "email preview" button.
> >
> > If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
> > h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?
> >
> > P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
> > pages.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Bon
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello All
>
> Could anyone give me some suggestions on passing a long string between
> ASP pages?
> I have three asp pages - h_email content.asp, h_process_email.asp and
> h_preview_email.asp
>
> In the h_email_content.asp, user can enter their To, CC, From, email
> content and other information. In this page, there are two buttons at
> the bottom- "preview email" and "send email".
>
> Inside the h_process_email.asp, there are some logics on controlling
> email content and sending conditions as well as saving data into
> database.
>
> I put a condition in h_process_email.asp for redirecting to
> h_preview_email.asp (response.redirect "h_preview_email.asp") if the
> user clicks the "email preview" button.
>
> If I want to transfer the email addresses and content from
> h_process_email.asp page to h_email_preview page, how can I do it?
>
> P.S I can't change the ASP structures i.e I have to keep them in three
> pages.
>
> Cheers
> Bon
>


Something confuses me about this. What does h_preview_email.asp return? a
html rendering of the email?
If so why in what way is it materially different from what can already be
seen in h_email_content.asp?
I guess it confuses me that you see the need for a preview at all??



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
how to pass parameters between asp.net to asp pages rinat ASP .Net 3 02-09-2010 07:46 PM
difference between pass by address and pass by reference!! blufox C Programming 2 04-03-2006 02:53 PM
Re: Pass data between pages Patrice Scribe ASP .Net 0 07-01-2003 03:14 PM
Re: Pass data between pages Kairi Zikpin ASP .Net 0 07-01-2003 03:01 PM



Advertisments