Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > URL Rewriting

URL Rewriting

Chris

I want to rewrite URL's from asp type ones with querystrings to more search
engine friendly ones. I was looking at two options:

isapirewrite or a bit of a hack which replaces the 404 page with a custom,
which examines the url and then does a server transfer to the querystring
page.

The hack works quite well with one problem, only the 404 page is written to
the IIS log. Does Isapi rewrite have the same problem.

Can anyone recommend any pointers to combining URL rewriting and web
statistics.

Peter

"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to rewrite URL's from asp type ones with querystrings to more
> search engine friendly ones. I was looking at two options:
>
> isapirewrite or a bit of a hack which replaces the 404 page with a
> custom, which examines the url and then does a server transfer to the
> querystring page.
>
> The hack works quite well with one problem, only the 404 page is
> written to the IIS log. Does Isapi rewrite have the same problem.
>
> Can anyone recommend any pointers to combining URL rewriting and web
> statistics.

From experience, the ISAPI filter will only log the resultant URL.

If you must have two log entries, try a 301 or 302 redirect from your
custom 404 page.