Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Roster web application

Roster web application

Blinky

Hi all,

I am about to create a web application using asp and vbs to build an online
roster for a department of 25 people. The roster covers some 10 shifts a
day, 7 days a week always starting on a Sunday. I will be using an access
database file to hold the information. At this this stage I will hold all
the data for each week based on the date that the week starts.

I am looking for ideas on how to dynamically give the user the option to
choose any given week in any given year, always starting on a sunday. Could
this be created on the fly or would it be easier creating a database table
holding the dates for Sunday for a year or 2 ?

Once a week is chosen a check on the database will determine if that weeks
roster has been created or not. If not a user with the correct permissions
can then create it.

The rosters are currently written out by hand. It is a labourious task which
must have certain numbers of staff working each shift for a given day. By
creating a web application automating the checking process and making the
roster available online and by email will make life easier for all staff
involved.

Any help, much appreciated.

Cheers, Bill.

Mike Brind

Blinky wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to create a web application using asp and vbs to build an online
> roster for a department of 25 people. The roster covers some 10 shifts a
> day, 7 days a week always starting on a Sunday. I will be using an access
> database file to hold the information. At this this stage I will hold all
> the data for each week based on the date that the week starts.
>
> I am looking for ideas on how to dynamically give the user the option to
> choose any given week in any given year, always starting on a sunday. Could
> this be created on the fly or would it be easier creating a database table
> holding the dates for Sunday for a year or 2 ?
>
> Once a week is chosen a check on the database will determine if that weeks
> roster has been created or not. If not a user with the correct permissions
> can then create it.

You should look at the DatePart function

<%
Response.Write DatePart("ww", Now)
%>

--