Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Problem with include files!

Reply
Thread Tools

Problem with include files!

 
 
Julesh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2006
Hello,

I am new to ASP and am trying to make some changes to some ASP 3.0 code
I have inherited.

I have a number of ASP pages with VBS as the base language, on each of
these pages I have successfully included a piece of VBS code that
produces output in a table cell by using:

<!--#include file="showAnswers.inc" -->

I have added a new page to the site where the base language is
JavaScript. If I try to use the same include line there it doesn't work
as it correctly detects that the code in the include file is written in
VBScript not JavaScript.

So I tried...

<Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" </Script>

The page runs in the browser without error but the code in the include
file isn't included so I don't get the output I expect.

So i try...


<Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" RUNAT="server"></Script>

The include now works but the output of the included code appears at the
top of the output, not in the table cell where I want it.

I have no idea how to resolve this. Can anyone help?



Thanks


Jules
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006
weird. i have now run into the same problem. some of my includes work, and
some are not.
i moved the same files into a subweb, and they work there.
wondering what's up with that.



"Julesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshFmg.472903$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hello,
>
> I am new to ASP and am trying to make some changes to some ASP 3.0 code I
> have inherited.
>
> I have a number of ASP pages with VBS as the base language, on each of
> these pages I have successfully included a piece of VBS code that produces
> output in a table cell by using:
>
> <!--#include file="showAnswers.inc" -->
>
> I have added a new page to the site where the base language is JavaScript.
> If I try to use the same include line there it doesn't work as it
> correctly detects that the code in the include file is written in VBScript
> not JavaScript.
>
> So I tried...
>
> <Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" </Script>
>
> The page runs in the browser without error but the code in the include
> file isn't included so I don't get the output I expect.
>
> So i try...
>
>
> <Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" RUNAT="server"></Script>
>
> The include now works but the output of the included code appears at the
> top of the output, not in the table cell where I want it.
>
> I have no idea how to resolve this. Can anyone help?
>
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Jules



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kyle Peterson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006
well,

mixing server side javascript and vbscript in the same code is seldom a good
idea

your learning that

best to stick to one or the other I say..

I have fooled around with mixing the two and only got very simple things to
work correctly at best




"Julesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshFmg.472903$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hello,
>
> I am new to ASP and am trying to make some changes to some ASP 3.0 code I
> have inherited.
>
> I have a number of ASP pages with VBS as the base language, on each of
> these pages I have successfully included a piece of VBS code that produces
> output in a table cell by using:
>
> <!--#include file="showAnswers.inc" -->
>
> I have added a new page to the site where the base language is JavaScript.
> If I try to use the same include line there it doesn't work as it
> correctly detects that the code in the include file is written in VBScript
> not JavaScript.
>
> So I tried...
>
> <Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" </Script>
>
> The page runs in the browser without error but the code in the include
> file isn't included so I don't get the output I expect.
>
> So i try...
>
>
> <Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" RUNAT="server"></Script>
>
> The include now works but the output of the included code appears at the
> top of the output, not in the table cell where I want it.
>
> I have no idea how to resolve this. Can anyone help?
>
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Jules



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006

"Julesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshFmg.472903$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hello,
>
> I am new to ASP and am trying to make some changes to some ASP 3.0 code
> I have inherited.
>
> I have a number of ASP pages with VBS as the base language, on each of
> these pages I have successfully included a piece of VBS code that
> produces output in a table cell by using:
>
> <!--#include file="showAnswers.inc" -->
>


A poor design choice on the part of the original development.

> I have added a new page to the site where the base language is
> JavaScript. If I try to use the same include line there it doesn't work
> as it correctly detects that the code in the include file is written in
> VBScript not JavaScript.
>
> So I tried...
>
> <Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" </Script>
>


This just tries to run the contents of the include on the client. (Use of
inc extension allows the client to download the file content another poor
choice.)

> The page runs in the browser without error but the code in the include
> file isn't included so I don't get the output I expect.
>
> So i try...
>
>
> <Script language="VBScript" src="showAnswers.inc" RUNAT="server"></Script>
>


I'm suprised this works at all. It normally isn't possible to use an ASP
include as a VBScript source, this include is likely to at least have a
couple of <% %> delimiters which are invalid in VBScript. In order to this
to work these delimiters would need to be removed but then all the other
normal uses of the include would break.

There is another problem with this approach when the specified language
isn't the same as the page language. The content will not be executed in
line but will executed before the rest of the page has been processed.

> The include now works but the output of the included code appears at the
> top of the output, not in the table cell where I want it.
>
> I have no idea how to resolve this. Can anyone help?
>


The easiest solution is to stop using JScript as your base language.

If you really must use JScript then the only solution I can see is leave the
page as VBScript and place all your JScript in a:-

<script language="JScript" runat="Server">
..
..
..
</script>

block at the top of your page. Note that this should contain pure Jscript,
no inline HTML, also any code that generates output to the response should
be inside functions. You then call the functions from the pages VBScript
language at the point you need them.

Anthony.

>
>
> Thanks
>
>
> Jules



 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006
Kyle Peterson wrote on 23 jun 2006 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> mixing server side javascript and vbscript in the same code is seldom
> a good idea
>


I think it is a very viable idea, I use it often.

I use vbs as the main script, and JS only to define certain functions.

Especially small regex test functions are much easier written in JS,
[once you get the hang of it!!!]:

<% 'vbscript main

.......

if NOT testPassword(passw) then ...

%>

<script language='javascript' runat='server'>
// contains at least 1 letter char and 1 number char?
function testPassword(x){
return /\d/.test(x) && /[a-z]/i.test(x)
}
</script>


--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006
Anthony Jones wrote on 23 jun 2006 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> If you really must use JScript then the only solution I can see is
> leave the page as VBScript and place all your JScript in a:-
>
> <script language="JScript" runat="Server">
> .
> .
> .
> </script>
>
> block at the top of your page.


The position in the file [not "page"] does not matter,
since in a vbs-asp file the JS-runats are executed first anyway.

> Note that this should contain pure Jscript,
> no inline HTML, also any code that generates output to the response
> should be inside functions.


A easy advice, since _inline_ html IN a runat='..' is not possible anyway.

response.write('Hello world'); is possible, but it seems better to stick to
function definitions.






--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97EB5F4D2C027eejj99@194.109.133.242...
> Kyle Peterson wrote on 23 jun 2006 in
> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
> > mixing server side javascript and vbscript in the same code is seldom
> > a good idea
> >

>
> I think it is a very viable idea, I use it often.
>
> I use vbs as the main script, and JS only to define certain functions.
>
> Especially small regex test functions are much easier written in JS,
> [once you get the hang of it!!!]:
>


That's interesting point of view. I'm not sure I'd want to ask ASP to run
JScript as well as VBScript for sake of a few lines of code. Also the
JScript implementation of RegExp gets annoying when you want to run a global
match with submatches.

> <% 'vbscript main
>
> ......
>
> if NOT testPassword(passw) then ...
>
> %>
>
> <script language='javascript' runat='server'>
> // contains at least 1 letter char and 1 number char?
> function testPassword(x){
> return /\d/.test(x) && /[a-z]/i.test(x)
> }
> </script>
>
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.
> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97EB61956F2C2eejj99@194.109.133.242...
> Anthony Jones wrote on 23 jun 2006 in
> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
> > If you really must use JScript then the only solution I can see is
> > leave the page as VBScript and place all your JScript in a:-
> >
> > <script language="JScript" runat="Server">
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > </script>
> >
> > block at the top of your page.

>
> The position in the file [not "page"]


Has anyone ever pointed out to you how painfully pedantic you are

>does not matter,
> since in a vbs-asp file the JS-runats are executed first anyway.
>


True but since it does get executed first you may as well put it first just
to be clear.

> > Note that this should contain pure Jscript,
> > no inline HTML, also any code that generates output to the response
> > should be inside functions.

>
> A easy advice, since _inline_ html IN a runat='..' is not possible anyway.


Which is why I said don't do it.

>
> response.write('Hello world'); is possible, but it seems better to stick

to
> function definitions.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.
> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Evertjan.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006
Anthony Jones wrote on 23 jun 2006 in
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>> > If you really must use JScript then the only solution I can see is
>> > leave the page as VBScript and place all your JScript in a:-
>> >
>> > <script language="JScript" runat="Server">
>> > </script>
>> >
>> > block at the top of your page.


>> The position in the file [not "page"]

>
> Has anyone ever pointed out to you how painfully pedantic you are


Why do you snear when you are corrected? Bad day, Anthony?

Many mistakes are a result of the misconseption, that ASP-"pages" exist.

>> does not matter,
>> since in a vbs-asp file the JS-runats are executed first anyway.


> True but since it does get executed first you may as well put it first
> just to be clear.


As well? I don't think so, I like to have my simple function definitions
at the bottom out of the way, as I treat them as reusable black boxes.

It is a personal preference, which I would advocate as useful.

>> > Note that this should contain pure Jscript,
>> > no inline HTML, also any code that generates output to the response
>> > should be inside functions.

>>
>> A easy advice, since _inline_ html IN a runat='..' is not possible
>> anyway.

>
> Which is why I said don't do it.


Isn't advising not to do what is impossible to do anyway a bit strange?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2006

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97EB6AB4191F2eejj99@194.109.133.242...
> Anthony Jones wrote on 23 jun 2006 in
> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> >> > If you really must use JScript then the only solution I can see is
> >> > leave the page as VBScript and place all your JScript in a:-
> >> >
> >> > <script language="JScript" runat="Server">
> >> > </script>
> >> >
> >> > block at the top of your page.

>
> >> The position in the file [not "page"]

> >
> > Has anyone ever pointed out to you how painfully pedantic you are

>
> Why do you snear when you are corrected? Bad day, Anthony?
>


Yeah I kinda snapped seeing yet another 'correction' from of something which
really doesn't need correcting.

> Many mistakes are a result of the misconseption, that ASP-"pages" exist.


Such as?

>
> >> does not matter,
> >> since in a vbs-asp file the JS-runats are executed first anyway.

>
> > True but since it does get executed first you may as well put it first
> > just to be clear.

>
> As well? I don't think so, I like to have my simple function definitions
> at the bottom out of the way, as I treat them as reusable black boxes.
>
> It is a personal preference, which I would advocate as useful.
>


Fair enough.

> >> > Note that this should contain pure Jscript,
> >> > no inline HTML, also any code that generates output to the response
> >> > should be inside functions.
> >>
> >> A easy advice, since _inline_ html IN a runat='..' is not possible
> >> anyway.

> >
> > Which is why I said don't do it.

>
> Isn't advising not to do what is impossible to do anyway a bit strange?
>


Not when the original poster is clearly not sure what is and isn't
impossible.

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.
> (Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
/* #include <someyhing.h> */ => include it or do not include it?That is the question .... Andreas Bogenberger C Programming 3 02-22-2008 10:53 AM
Tomcat include-prelude include-coda problem web4all Java 0 05-11-2006 09:58 PM
Re: the use of #include <a_file.h> v/s #include"a_file.cpp" Elie Nader C++ 1 11-28-2003 03:12 PM
Re: the use of #include <a_file.h> v/s #include"a_file.cpp" Rolf Magnus C++ 2 11-28-2003 12:26 PM
#include "bar" negates #include <string> ; how to fix? Danny Anderson C++ 5 08-15-2003 06:38 PM



Advertisments