Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CDO + Cookies

CDO + Cookies

surf_doggie

I found that a number of my sites that send email using CDO failed
withing the past 30 days. Consider the following. I know its not the
best coding practice to open and close the connection so many times but
Im curious why this would all of a sudden become an issue.

1. Have a few large sites essentially all variables such as SMTP server
are set using cookies so I can deploy multiple sites quickly.

2. Within the site email appears to work correctly across all pages
with 1 exception.

3. The exception is below, Im wondering if it has to do with cookies
having to be retrieved multiple times from the client machine

--Call db run search loop data build array
--Based on data in array call another search alter and finalize array
--Do while <= uBound(myArray)
--Call Email sub (from,to,sub,body) ' Sub contains a request
cookies for SMTP server.
--Loop

Doesnt matter if its 2 or 50 emails always fails when using
request.cookies to set the SMTP in the sub. Works fine if I hard code
the IP. This same sub is used multiple times throughout the website and
works fine with cookies.

Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
failures.

Thanks,
Earl

Mike Brind

surf_doggie wrote:
> I found that a number of my sites that send email using CDO failed
> withing the past 30 days. Consider the following. I know its not the
> best coding practice to open and close the connection so many times but
> Im curious why this would all of a sudden become an issue.
>
> 1. Have a few large sites essentially all variables such as SMTP server
> are set using cookies so I can deploy multiple sites quickly.
>
> 2. Within the site email appears to work correctly across all pages
> with 1 exception.
>
> 3. The exception is below, Im wondering if it has to do with cookies
> having to be retrieved multiple times from the client machine
>
> --Call db run search loop data build array
> --Based on data in array call another search alter and finalize array
> --Do while <= uBound(myArray)
> --Call Email sub (from,to,sub,body) ' Sub contains a request
> cookies for SMTP server.
> --Loop
>
> Doesnt matter if its 2 or 50 emails always fails when using
> request.cookies to set the SMTP in the sub. Works fine if I hard code
> the IP. This same sub is used multiple times throughout the website and
> works fine with cookies.

I'm confused - it either works with cookies or it doesn't.

> Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
> been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
> failures.

You should never rely on storing info like this in cookies. People
delete them, and your application depends on them. Application level
information should be stored on the server - application
variables/db/xml/etc...

Have you checked to see if the cookie exists?

--
Mike Brind

surf_doggie

> I'm confused - it either works with cookies or it doesn't.
>

> > Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
> > been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
> > failures.

> You should never rely on storing info like this in cookies. People
> delete them, and your application depends on them. Application level
> information should be stored on the server - application
> variables/db/xml/etc...
>
> Have you checked to see if the cookie exists?
>
> --
> Mike Brind

Hey Mike Ive seen your posts I respect your opinion. Please let me
clarify.

1. I agree either it works or it doesnt. Thats why I dont understand.
2. I only store the cookies on the client machine for the session when
they close their browser the cookies are gone. These are not
application level cookies just plain jane.

consider this I have 100 webpages.
<!-- some include file with cookies that expire when you close browser
(mailhost included)>
-->You have successfully logged in mailhost cookie is set.

On about 50 of those pages if you want to send and individual
email it calls
--call SendMail(efrom,eto,subject,body)

Works great for an email or 2.

This may be where the rub is at Mike.

Now every night I had scheduled a bat file to run and send multiple
emails from a db. Failed mail couldnt be sent. At first I thought it
was the permissions on the bat file or the permissions the AT Scheduler
from windows was using but when I went to the url from my browser it
died with smtp errors.

I did trouble shooting for a month. When I hard coded the url it
worked... O YES the connection for the cookies was in the loop file
because I did a response.write to make sure the smtp server was correct
in the loop file before I hard coded the IP of the SMTP server.

Now Im just curious I have the solution, I agree either it works or it
doesnt but why does it work sometimes? Is it because the loop cant grab
the request.cookies off the client machine fast enough to keep up with
what the CDO needs for the SMTP server config?

These sites had been working up until about 1 to 3 months ago for a
year and started cascade failing on the CDO. Once I figured to hard
code the IP instead of cookies alls well.

Thanks for your time.
Earl

surf_doggie

Sorry forgot to point out all of the emails are based off of the same
function

surf_doggie wrote:
> > I'm confused - it either works with cookies or it doesn't.
> >

> > > Just curious why it needs might need to be hard coded in the loop. Has
> > > been running for about 6 months fine and have recently started noticing
> > > failures.

> > You should never rely on storing info like this in cookies. People
> > delete them, and your application depends on them. Application level
> > information should be stored on the server - application
> > variables/db/xml/etc...
> >
> > Have you checked to see if the cookie exists?
> >
> > --
> > Mike Brind

> Hey Mike Ive seen your posts I respect your opinion. Please let me
> clarify.
>
> 1. I agree either it works or it doesnt. Thats why I dont understand.
> 2. I only store the cookies on the client machine for the session when
> they close their browser the cookies are gone. These are not
> application level cookies just plain jane.
>
> consider this I have 100 webpages.
> <!-- some include file with cookies that expire when you close browser
> (mailhost included)>
> -->You have successfully logged in mailhost cookie is set.
>
> On about 50 of those pages if you want to send and individual
> email it calls
> --call SendMail(efrom,eto,subject,body)
>
> Works great for an email or 2.
>
> This may be where the rub is at Mike.
>
> Now every night I had scheduled a bat file to run and send multiple
> emails from a db. Failed mail couldnt be sent. At first I thought it
> was the permissions on the bat file or the permissions the AT Scheduler
> from windows was using but when I went to the url from my browser it
> died with smtp errors.
>
> I did trouble shooting for a month. When I hard coded the url it
> worked... O YES the connection for the cookies was in the loop file
> because I did a response.write to make sure the smtp server was correct
> in the loop file before I hard coded the IP of the SMTP server.
>
> Now Im just curious I have the solution, I agree either it works or it
> doesnt but why does it work sometimes? Is it because the loop cant grab
> the request.cookies off the client machine fast enough to keep up with
> what the CDO needs for the SMTP server config?
>
> These sites had been working up until about 1 to 3 months ago for a
> year and started cascade failing on the CDO. Once I figured to hard
> code the IP instead of cookies alls well.
>
> Thanks for your time.
> Earl

surf_doggie

Sorry would also like to point out its on multiple web servers in
multiple networks.

Mike if you want to see a demo Ill set up a webex

Earl