Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Converting from Access?

Converting from Access?

Arnold Shore

Apologies if this isn't the right newsgroup, but a friend/client has a
conventional ACCESS application that he wants to convert to
online/internet/ASP.

While I've used Access's export function in the past to generate ASP from
the tables, I wonder whether there's anything around to do a more
comprehensive automatic conversion. I've noted a few ads for such products,
and I wonder/hope there's some experience around here that might be shared -
with recommendations.

We'll certainly consider a commercial conversion project. (I'm just out of
time and interest, frankly.) If so, pls come back with some info on how you
price the effort, etc.

Thanks, all.

AS

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Arnold Shore wrote:
> Apologies if this isn't the right newsgroup, but a friend/client has
> a conventional ACCESS application that he wants to convert to
> online/internet/ASP.
>
> While I've used Access's export function in the past to generate ASP
> from the tables, I wonder whether there's anything around to do a more
> comprehensive automatic conversion. I've noted a few ads for such
> products, and I wonder/hope there's some experience around here that
> might be shared - with recommendations.
>
> We'll certainly consider a commercial conversion project. (I'm just
> out of time and interest, frankly.) If so, pls come back with some
> info on how you price the effort, etc.

I've never used any of them, but Google provides plenty of hits.
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...SP&sa=N&tab=xw

Personally, I would be suspicious of anything that claims to do "too
good" of a job at this. There is too much tweaking that needs to be done
to make using Jet as backend to a an ASP application scalable. You may
get an ASP application that works well with a few users in the testing
stage, but bombs when exposed to the world on the internet. YMMV.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET