Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How can i view Debug.Write?

How can i view Debug.Write?

Ian Boyd

IIS5, on a Windows 2000 Server machine.

Debeg.WriteLine "Hello, world!"

How can i view it?

Mike Brind

Ian Boyd wrote:
> IIS5, on a Windows 2000 Server machine.
>
> Debeg.WriteLine "Hello, world!"
>

> How can i view it?

<%
Response.Write "Hello World"
%>

--
Mike Brind

Ian Boyd

"Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Ian Boyd wrote:
>> IIS5, on a Windows 2000 Server machine.
>>
>> Debeg.WriteLine "Hello, world!"
>>

>> How can i view it?

> <%
> Response.Write "Hello World"
> %>

I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

Mike Brind

Ian Boyd wrote:
> "Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Ian Boyd wrote:
> >> IIS5, on a Windows 2000 Server machine.
> >>
> >> Debeg.WriteLine "Hello, world!"
> >>

> >> How can i view it?

> > <%
> > Response.Write "Hello World"
> > %>

> I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

That's gone wayyyyyyyyy over my head.

--
Mike Brind

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ian Boyd wrote:
> IIS5, on a Windows 2000 Server machine.
>
> Debeg.WriteLine "Hello, world!"
>

> How can i view it?

I know of no debugger for classic ASP-based script that supplies a Debug
object similar to the one used in VB, which is what I presume you are
talking about. As Mike says, you pretty much have to resort to
Response.write, of create your own custom debugging class:
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Mike Brind

Mike Brind wrote:
> Ian Boyd wrote:
> > "Mike Brind" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> > > <%
> > > Response.Write "Hello World"
> > > %>

> > I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

> That's gone wayyyyyyyyy over my head.

Oh, hold on a minute. I Googled your odd phrase, and it appears to be
some kind of sarcastic put-down. So I asked myself why I had earned
that reaction, and did a bit more googling.

Now I kind of thought that you were coming from a VBA/VB6 direction,
and trying to apply those debugging practices to classic asp, hence my
answer. At first, I didn't spot that your post had changed from
debug.write in the subject to debeg[sic].writeLINE in the body, but
debug.writeline is used in VB.NET (maybe other places as well, for all
I know), which suggests to me that you are using ASP.NET.

If that's the case, you're in the wrong group, and I select number 3 in
the this list (http://www.pushback.com/fun/BestComebacks.html) for you.

--
Mike Brind

Ian Boyd

> IIS5, on a Windows 2000 Server machine.
>
> Debeg.WriteLine "Hello, world!"
>

> How can i view it?
>
> <%
> Response.Write "Hello World"
> %>

Let me clarify.

i'm coming into "ASP Programming" from C/C++ WinAPI programming.

It turns out that "ASP code" is actually VBScript, and it looks like the ASP
ISAPI extension for IIS uses the windows scripting engine. One of the
features available in the VBScripting engine is an intrinsic object called
Debug, which has two useful methods
Debug.Write
and
Debug.WriteLine

Unfortunaly, i cannot find where the ASP ISAPI extension for IIS puts the
"console output" on the web server; it doesn't output it as
OutputDebugStrings. Nor can i find any generally available "console" for
IIS.

Referring to your answer to my question: how does <%Response.Write()%> help
me view the output of Debug.Write?

> If that's the case, you're in the wrong group, and I select number 3 in
> the this list (http://www.pushback.com/fun/BestComebacks.html) for you.

Good show old man, very well played.

Ian Boyd

> I know of no debugger for classic ASP-based script that supplies a Debug
> object similar to the one used in VB

It's not VB, it's VBScript

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...c2d3d5e6fb.asp

ASP uses the scripting engine. The scripting engine has "console output".
Where does the ASP ISASP plugin for IIS, which is hosting the scripting
engine, redirect any "console" output to?

Evertjan.

Ian Boyd wrote on 03 jun 2006 in

> It turns out that "ASP code" is actually VBScript,

No,
the ASP platform supports two scripting languages: VBscript and Jscript.

> and it looks like
> the ASP ISAPI extension for IIS uses the windows scripting engine. One
> of the features available in the VBScripting engine is an intrinsic
> object called Debug, which has two useful methods
> Debug.Write

As ASP is on a server, it has no intrinsic console/human interface,
and a serverside output is not available.

The debug object would have no output so is not implemented.

> Referring to your answer to my question: how does <%Response.Write()%>
> help me view the output of Debug.Write?

<% Response.Write('Hello world') %>
or
<% = 'Hello world' %>
being minimal Jscript

<% Response.Write "Hello world" %>
or
<% = "Hello world" %>
being minimal VBscript

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Ian Boyd wrote:
>> I know of no debugger for classic ASP-based script that supplies a
>> Debug object similar to the one used in VB

> It's not VB, it's VBScript

Umm, read my sentence again. Where did I say that I thought you were using
VB in ASP?

> ASP uses the scripting engine. The scripting engine has "console
> output".

But ASP doesn't, so this is not implemented.

> Where does the ASP ISASP plugin for IIS, which is hosting the
> scripting engine, redirect any "console" output to?

I just tried to debug a vbs file (using the debugger available in VS2003)
containing a debug.write statement and nothing appearred in the Immediate
window. Are you sure this works for vbscript files?

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"