Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > No of users ?

Reply
Thread Tools

No of users ?

 
 
PW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2006

Hi,

I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I tell the
number of users currently logged on, and can I get any details about them ?

Thanks,
PW



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2006

"PW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I tell the
> number of users currently logged on, and can I get any details about them
> ?


Depends on how you authenticate. Do you have them anonymously access the
site? Or do you use a database login? Or do you use clear text
authentication?

--
compatible web farm Session replacement for Asp and Asp.Net
http://www.nieropwebconsult.nl/asp_session_manager.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2006
PW wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I
> tell the number of users currently logged on, and can I get any
> details about them ?
> Thanks,
> PW

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
vicky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2006
Hi,

You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get user's
session id and check for it when the page is called, if its different
then increment the variable's value. then you can keep that value in a
text file or in database.

Its so simple. right

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2006
vicky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
> variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get user's
> session id and check for it when the page is called, if its different
> then increment the variable's value. then you can keep that value in a
> text file or in database.
>
> Its so simple. right


wrong

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2006
Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> vicky wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
>> variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get
>> user's session id and check for it when the page is called, if its
>> different then increment the variable's value. then you can keep
>> that value in a text file or in database.
>>
>> Its so simple. right

>
> wrong

Oops, forgot to add the smiley


--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
vicky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Hi Bob,

Can you tell me why is it wrong???

Vicky



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Anderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
vicky wrote:
> Can you tell me why is it wrong???


Because sessions are stateless.

Since they are stateless, you have no idea when a user leaves the site, so
there is no realistic way to ACCURATELY measure the number of users
"currently logged in".




--
Dave Anderson

Unsolicited commercial email will be read at a cost of $500 per message. Use
of this email address implies consent to these terms.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Barrows [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
vicky wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Can you tell me why is it wrong???
>
> Vicky
>
>


The article I cited in my first reply explains it. Dave did it in fewer
words, but that's the point that makes it harder than simply storing the
data in application.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
single web app for both external users and domain users bitshift ASP .Net 1 06-22-2007 03:32 PM
How to Synchronize anonymous users with authenticated users using profiles? Rodusa ASP .Net 2 09-08-2005 08:12 PM
Attn: Panasonic FZ5 Users and Canon S1-IS Users measekite Digital Photography 17 05-27-2005 05:51 PM
Help me in making users/deleting users in active directory Sara rafiee ASP .Net 3 10-04-2004 01:35 PM
Reg. Listing Only Online Users in a Seperate JTree from the Total Users. Sunil Miriyala Java 0 03-01-2004 04:58 PM



Advertisments