Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to debug compiled asp.net apps?

How to debug compiled asp.net apps?

John Dalberg

Is there a way to single step or set up breakpoints on a compiled asp.net
app that I developed?

J.

David Browne

"John Dalberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:19m4p20m6dma5.1wt3tulm56swe$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Is there a way to single step or set up breakpoints on a compiled asp.net
> app that I developed?

You need to be running the debug build of the dll's. Then you need to
attach a debugger. If you have VS installed on the same machine, then open
the solution and go to DEBUG\PROCESSES and attach the aspnet_wp.exe process
and set a breakpoint.

If it is running on another machine you can either install remote debugging
on the server, which is on the Visual Studio Disk 1 instller.

Or you can use a more lightweight debugger on the server, like cordbg.exe,
available with the .net framework. or WinDbg from

David Browne

"David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Dalberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:19m4p20m6dma5.1wt3tulm56swe$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >

> > Is there a way to single step or set up breakpoints on a compiled

asp.net
> > app that I developed?
> >

> You need to be running the debug build of the dll's. Then you need to
> attach a debugger. If you have VS installed on the same machine, then

open
> the solution and go to DEBUG\PROCESSES and attach the aspnet_wp.exe

process
> and set a breakpoint.
>
> If it is running on another machine you can either install remote

debugging
> on the server, which is on the Visual Studio Disk 1 instller.
>
> Or you can use a more lightweight debugger on the server, like cordbg.exe,
> available with the .net framework. or WinDbg from

from

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtoo...g/default.mspx

David