Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > asp cade breakpoints does not stop code execution

asp cade breakpoints does not stop code execution

Rea

Hi eb
I set some 'Stop' statements and also visual breakpoints
in asp code (vbscript).
I am doing that in Microsoft Script debugger.
Than I refresh the original page and expect execution to halt
at these breakpoints but unfortunatly it does not..
I had allowed script debugging in both iis home directory and in internet
explorer.
Also i added everyone from active directory to be members of debugging group.
Web Server is W2k sp4 and iis 5.?
Any idea of how to step into asp code will be appriciated!!

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?UmVh?= wrote on 27 mrt 2006 in

> Hi eb
> I set some 'Stop' statements and also visual breakpoints
> in asp code (vbscript).
> I am doing that in Microsoft Script debugger.

ASP code runs only on a server.

stopping the code goes with:

<%
response.end
%>

> Than I refresh the original page and expect execution to halt
> at these breakpoints but unfortunatly it does not..

ASP (vbscript or jscript) renders html to be sent to the client browser.

> I had allowed script debugging in both iis home directory and in
> internet explorer.

ASP does not reach the browser,
so you can only debug with the resulting html, like this breakpoint:

<%
response.write "<br><br>variable a = " & a
response.end
%>

> Also i added everyone from active directory to be members of debugging
> group. Web Server is W2k sp4 and iis 5.?

Again, that has nothing to do with asp execution(!!) of vbscript or
jscipt.

> Any idea of how to step into asp code will be appriciated!!

"how to step into asp code" what do you mean?

Do you perhaps single-step the code?
That is imposible executing in ASP.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Anthony Jones

> =?Utf-8?B?UmVh?= wrote on 27 mrt 2006 in
>
> > Hi eb
> > I set some 'Stop' statements and also visual breakpoints
> > in asp code (vbscript).
> > I am doing that in Microsoft Script debugger.

> ASP code runs only on a server.
>
> stopping the code goes with:
>
> <%
> response.end
> %>

Response.End kills all further processing of an ASP script.

Stop raises a debug event, if an active debugger is configured execution is
halted at that point and the debugger is invoked.

> > Than I refresh the original page and expect execution to halt
> > at these breakpoints but unfortunatly it does not..

> ASP (vbscript or jscript) renders html to be sent to the client browser.

No kidding? The refresh is being performed to cause the page to re-execute
in the hopes that this time the debugger will be invoked.

> > I had allowed script debugging in both iis home directory and in
> > internet explorer.

> ASP does not reach the browser,
> so you can only debug with the resulting html, like this breakpoint:
>
> <%
> response.write "<br><br>variable a = " & a
> response.end
> %>

The above is not a breakpoint and does not cause the client to invoke a
debugger.

> > Also i added everyone from active directory to be members of debugging
> > group. Web Server is W2k sp4 and iis 5.?

> Again, that has nothing to do with asp execution(!!) of vbscript or
> jscipt.

Yes it does. To perform debugging on the server (including the debugging of
VBScripts running in ASP) the user under which the debugger runs often needs
to be a member of the Debugger Users group.

> > Any idea of how to step into asp code will be appriciated!!

> "how to step into asp code" what do you mean?
>
> Do you perhaps single-step the code?
> That is imposible executing in ASP.

Not it isn't. It is possible to both locally and remotely debug ASP.
However remote debugging is a real faf and flaky at best.

There are a couple of options.

Simplest one is to Terminal Service on to the ASP server and run the
debugger client on the server itself.

Of course this isn't desirable (or possible) if your site is hosted by a
third party or if your pages are in live use.

The other option is to duplicate the site on a test server or locally in XP
IIS.5.1 and do all your debugging/testing there.

Anthony.

Evertjan.

Anthony Jones wrote on 28 mrt 2006 in

>> <%
>> response.write "<br><br>variable a = " & a
>> response.end
>> %>

> The above is not a breakpoint and does not cause the client to invoke a
> debugger.

If that is your definition of a breakpoint, you are right,
but the invocation of a debugger is not my primary idea of breakpoint and
debugging.

My idea:
Debugging is the act of identifying and getting rid of bugs.
On an interactive site this can best be done by human interaction.

A breakpoint can, but does not have to have a continue function to be a
breakpoint. [In a loop a breakpoint can be usefull, but as pressing
continue 10000 times is not my idea of fun, I usually do not really break
in a long loop, bur put in a temporary registration subroutine.]

Of course you have a right to your idea's and definitions.
I like mine better.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Anthony Jones

> Anthony Jones wrote on 28 mrt 2006 in
>
> >> <%
> >> response.write "<br><br>variable a = " & a
> >> response.end
> >> %>

> > The above is not a breakpoint and does not cause the client to invoke a
> > debugger.

> If that is your definition of a breakpoint, you are right,
> but the invocation of a debugger is not my primary idea of breakpoint and
> debugging.
>
> My idea:
> Debugging is the act of identifying and getting rid of bugs.
> On an interactive site this can best be done by human interaction.
>
> A breakpoint can, but does not have to have a continue function to be a
> breakpoint. [In a loop a breakpoint can be usefull, but as pressing
> continue 10000 times is not my idea of fun, I usually do not really break
> in a long loop, bur put in a temporary registration subroutine.]
>
> Of course you have a right to your idea's and definitions.
> I like mine better.

Ask a hundred professional developers 'What is a breakpoint?'

How many will give answers matching mine and how many will be closer to
yours?

Go ahead and like yours but keep it to yourself. In a public space such as
this group it would be better if we used terms as they are general
understood by the majority. Especially if we believe we are in a position
to be giving advice.

Evertjan.

Anthony Jones wrote on 28 mrt 2006 in

> Ask a hundred professional developers 'What is a breakpoint?'

Oh, "professional developers", do they have priority on a usenet group?

> How many will give answers matching mine and how many will be closer
> to yours?

I doubt that, ... but go ahead and count if you think you must.

> Go ahead and like yours but keep it to yourself.

You seem not to understand usenet.
Disagreeing and then ordering the other party to shut up ...

> In a public space
> such as this group it would be better if we used terms as they are
> general understood by the majority.

.... because you insist that your own idea is the mayority, wether or not
that is true, will only make you the laughing stock of usenet.

> Especially if we believe we are in a position to be giving advice.

Do you? And why are you suddenly plural?
Are there more Joneses thinking like you?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Mike Brind

Anthony Jones wrote:
> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Anthony Jones wrote on 28 mrt 2006 in
> > microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> > > The above is not a breakpoint and does not cause the client to invoke a
> > > debugger.

> > If that is your definition of a breakpoint, you are right,
> > but the invocation of a debugger is not my primary idea of breakpoint and
> > debugging.
> >
> > My idea:
> > Debugging is the act of identifying and getting rid of bugs.
> > On an interactive site this can best be done by human interaction.
> >
> > A breakpoint can, but does not have to have a continue function to be a
> > breakpoint. [In a loop a breakpoint can be usefull, but as pressing
> > continue 10000 times is not my idea of fun, I usually do not really break
> > in a long loop, bur put in a temporary registration subroutine.]
> >
> > Of course you have a right to your idea's and definitions.
> > I like mine better.
> >

> Ask a hundred professional developers 'What is a breakpoint?'
>
> How many will give answers matching mine and how many will be closer to
> yours?
>
> Go ahead and like yours but keep it to yourself.

If Evertjan had done that, this discussion would never have taken
place. Personally, I found the points raised interesting and useful,
FWIW.

--
Mike Brind

Anthony Jones

> Anthony Jones wrote on 28 mrt 2006 in
>
> > Ask a hundred professional developers 'What is a breakpoint?'

> Oh, "professional developers", do they have priority on a usenet group?
>
> > How many will give answers matching mine and how many will be closer
> > to yours?

> I doubt that, ... but go ahead and count if you think you must.
>
> > Go ahead and like yours but keep it to yourself.

> You seem not to understand usenet.
> Disagreeing and then ordering the other party to shut up ...
>
> > In a public space
> > such as this group it would be better if we used terms as they are
> > general understood by the majority.

> ... because you insist that your own idea is the mayority, wether or not
> that is true, will only make you the laughing stock of usenet.
>
> > Especially if we believe we are in a position to be giving advice.

> Do you? And why are you suddenly plural?
> Are there more Joneses thinking like you?

Evertjan,

I apologise.

Anthony.

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

Anthony Jones wrote on 29 mrt 2006 in

>> > Especially if we believe we are in a position to be giving advice.

>> Do you? And why are you suddenly plural?
>> Are there more Joneses thinking like you?
>>

> Evertjan,
>
> I apologise.
>
> Anthony.

Anthony, I love a good fight, and this was one. ;-}

Theads consisting of:

>>> I agree

> I agree

I agree

are not my cup of tea.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

> Hi eb

Who are you replying to, without quoting?

> I set some 'Stop' statements and also visual breakpoints
> in asp code (vbscript).

And where would you like to see those "visual" breakpoints?
On the server display?

> I am doing that in Microsoft Script debugger.
> Than I refresh the original page and expect execution to halt
> at these breakpoints but unfortunatly it does not..

ASP does not have breakpoints in your sense, since asp only sends rendered
html to the client. ASP has no display by itself.

> I had allowed script debugging in both iis home directory and in
> internet explorer.

The internet explorer should and does not receive asp code.

[...]
> Any idea of how to step into asp code will be appriciated!!

You cannot and shuld not, see above.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.