Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > What is the best approach?

What is the best approach?

Andrew

Hello, friends,

We need to create a user control (COM) in which it should be able to
retrieve binary data from a given website after a user selects an item ID and
clicks Retrive button.

We then can put this user control in a html page (generated by .asp page) so
that internet users can use our data stored in our web server.

Any reference paper or sample source code?

Thanks a lot...

(We thought about DCOM, but it does not sound like a good approach nowadays,
right?)

Anthony Jones

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, friends,
>
> We need to create a user control (COM) in which it should be able to
> retrieve binary data from a given website after a user selects an item ID

and
> clicks Retrive button.
>
> We then can put this user control in a html page (generated by .asp page)

so
> that internet users can use our data stored in our web server.
>
> Any reference paper or sample source code?
>
> Thanks a lot...
>
> (We thought about DCOM, but it does not sound like a good approach

nowadays,
> right?)

Why use a custom COM object at all?

Use msxml2.XMLHttp object to post a query to an ASP page and have that ASP
page return XML.

The client machines will only need a browser and not custom ActiveX
controls.

Anthony.