Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Opening a window in the same session

Opening a window in the same session

Larry Bud

Wanting to use a technology I saw for one of our apps.

We have several apps that a user logs in at on the same page. The app
is determined by a drop down. User credentials are checked,
response.redirect to the application. The user ID is stored in a
session variable which determines if the user is logged in. When the
session var goes blank, the user is redirected to the login page. A
header on each page checks this.

Now, some parts of the app send an email out to a specific row. User
clicks on link in the email, a new browser is opened, user logs in, and
is forwarded to the app, AND the specific record that was in the URL.

What I would like is when the user clicks on the link in the e-mail,
the existing browser window is used. I know this can be done because a
colleagues Stock Trading program works in a similar way. He gets 3
emails. If he clicks on the first one, it take him to a login, and
then is forwarded to the details of his stock trade.

If he leaves that window open, and clicks on the next link, the details
of the stock trade are brought up in the existing window without him
logging in. I looked at HTML to see if they're doing any tricks in the
HREF, but it's just a link to a an HTML file.

Any ideas?

Mike Brind

Larry Bud wrote:
> Wanting to use a technology I saw for one of our apps.
>
> We have several apps that a user logs in at on the same page. The app
> is determined by a drop down. User credentials are checked,
> response.redirect to the application. The user ID is stored in a
> session variable which determines if the user is logged in. When the
> session var goes blank, the user is redirected to the login page. A
> header on each page checks this.
>
> Now, some parts of the app send an email out to a specific row. User
> clicks on link in the email, a new browser is opened, user logs in, and
> is forwarded to the app, AND the specific record that was in the URL.
>
> What I would like is when the user clicks on the link in the e-mail,
> the existing browser window is used. I know this can be done because a
> colleagues Stock Trading program works in a similar way. He gets 3
> emails. If he clicks on the first one, it take him to a login, and
> then is forwarded to the details of his stock trade.
>
> If he leaves that window open, and clicks on the next link, the details
> of the stock trade are brought up in the existing window without him
> logging in. I looked at HTML to see if they're doing any tricks in the
> HREF, but it's just a link to a an HTML file.
>
> Any ideas?

None of this can be controlled through ASP which is a server side
technology.

With Firefox, I control whether a new window is opened for each link,
or whether links open in existing windows or new tabs. I do this
through the Tools > Options menu. You can't do anything about my
preferences, unless I invite you round my house

--
Mike Brind

Larry Bud

Mike Brind wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
> > Wanting to use a technology I saw for one of our apps.
> >
> > We have several apps that a user logs in at on the same page. The app
> > is determined by a drop down. User credentials are checked,
> > response.redirect to the application. The user ID is stored in a
> > session variable which determines if the user is logged in. When the
> > session var goes blank, the user is redirected to the login page. A
> > header on each page checks this.
> >
> > Now, some parts of the app send an email out to a specific row. User
> > clicks on link in the email, a new browser is opened, user logs in, and
> > is forwarded to the app, AND the specific record that was in the URL.
> >
> > What I would like is when the user clicks on the link in the e-mail,
> > the existing browser window is used. I know this can be done because a
> > colleagues Stock Trading program works in a similar way. He gets 3
> > emails. If he clicks on the first one, it take him to a login, and
> > then is forwarded to the details of his stock trade.
> >
> > If he leaves that window open, and clicks on the next link, the details
> > of the stock trade are brought up in the existing window without him
> > logging in. I looked at HTML to see if they're doing any tricks in the
> > HREF, but it's just a link to a an HTML file.
> >
> > Any ideas?

> None of this can be controlled through ASP which is a server side
> technology.

I realize that, but the session ID is accessible through ASP.

The window opening in this case is not controlled by any preferences in
the browser, however. Something else is going on.

Mike Brind

Larry Bud wrote:
> Mike Brind wrote:
> > Larry Bud wrote:
> > > Wanting to use a technology I saw for one of our apps.
> > >
> > > We have several apps that a user logs in at on the same page. The app
> > > is determined by a drop down. User credentials are checked,
> > > response.redirect to the application. The user ID is stored in a
> > > session variable which determines if the user is logged in. When the
> > > session var goes blank, the user is redirected to the login page. A
> > > header on each page checks this.
> > >
> > > Now, some parts of the app send an email out to a specific row. User
> > > clicks on link in the email, a new browser is opened, user logs in, and
> > > is forwarded to the app, AND the specific record that was in the URL.
> > >
> > > What I would like is when the user clicks on the link in the e-mail,
> > > the existing browser window is used. I know this can be done because a
> > > colleagues Stock Trading program works in a similar way. He gets 3
> > > emails. If he clicks on the first one, it take him to a login, and
> > > then is forwarded to the details of his stock trade.
> > >
> > > If he leaves that window open, and clicks on the next link, the details
> > > of the stock trade are brought up in the existing window without him
> > > logging in. I looked at HTML to see if they're doing any tricks in the
> > > HREF, but it's just a link to a an HTML file.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

> > None of this can be controlled through ASP which is a server side
> > technology.

> I realize that, but the session ID is accessible through ASP.

That's got nothing to do with user's browser preferences.

> The window opening in this case is not controlled by any preferences in
> the browser, however. Something else is going on.

The window opening in any case has got nothing to do with ASP.

--
Mike Brind