Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP with Access Database (Input Text - Value Display)

ASP with Access Database (Input Text - Value Display)

magix

Hi,

I'm using Access Database with ASP. There is one particular thing that I
have issue with.
My purpose is for user to update their own profile. Their existing profile
information will be display in Edit Form format. The problem is if the field
has space, the second word will not display, when I display in input text
format.

E.g if My first name "User_FirstName" in my table has entry, let say "David
Johnson" as FirstName, when I execute following code and do a input text, it
will display "David" only.

I have following code.

<% Dim MyProfile

Set MyProfile= Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
ConnStr = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath
("database/users.mdb") & ";Jet OLEDBatabase Password=password"
MyProfile.Open(ConnStr)

SQLtemp = "SELECT * FROM UserAccount WHERE User_UserName = '" &
Request.Cookies("UserName") & "' "
Set rs = MyProfile.Execute(SQLtemp)

while not rs.eof

If Request.Cookies("UserName") = rs("User_UserName") Then

dim Your_FirstName
Your_FirstName = rs("User_FirstName")
dim Your_LastName
Your_LastName = rs("User_LastName")
dim Your_UserName
Your_UserName = rs("User_UserName")
dim Your_Password
Your_Password = rs("User_Password")
dim Your_Email
Your_Email = rs("User_Email")
dim Your_Address
Your_Address = rs("User_Address")
dim Your_City
Your_City = rs("User_City")
dim Your_Country
Your_Country = rs("User_Country")
dim Your_Date_In
Your_Date_In = rs("User_EntryDate")
dim Your_Company
Your_Company = rs("User_Company")
dim Your_Designation
Your_Designation = rs("User_Designation")
dim Your_Phone
Your_Phone = rs("User_Phone")
End If

rs.MoveNext
Wend
rs.Close
MyProfile.Close
set MyProfile = Nothing

%>

Name:</span></td>
size="20" value=<%response.write Your_FirstName %> maxlength="15"></td>

.... This will display "David"

So, if I'm not using input type text to display is, for example,

Name:</span></td>
... This will display "David Johnson"

May I know why ? and how to fix it to display "David Johnson" in input text
format.

Thank you,

Regards,
Magix

magix

Thanks Dave. It works.

"Dave Anderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> magix wrote:
> > ...The problem is if the field has space, the second
> > word will not display, when I display in input text format...

> That is usually because you aren't using attribute quotes.
>

> > <input type="text" name="xFirstName" size="20"
> > value=<%response.write Your_FirstName %>
> > maxlength="15">

> Exactly. If you look at the generated HTML, you will see:
>
> <input type="text" name="xFirstName" size="20"
> value=David Johnson maxlength="15">
>
> I suggest you change three things. The first is just a matter of
> convenience:
> . Use the <%= %> token for Response.Write
> . Use attibute quotes
> . Use Server.HTMLEncode when writing something a user may have typed
>
> In short, this will suffice:
>
> <input value="<%=Server.HTMLEncode(Your_FirstName)%>" ...>
>

> --
> Dave Anderson

Use
> of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not

contact