Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > alternative to iisProtect ?

alternative to iisProtect ?

Per W.

Hi, is there some alternative to iisProtect and AuthentiX to protect folders
and files on a IIS server and manage users from web, maybe som freeware or
shareware?

/Per W.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"Per W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ds78p1$820$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, is there some alternative to iisProtect and AuthentiX to protect
> folders and files on a IIS server and manage users from web, maybe som
> freeware or shareware?

ASP.NET forms authentication?
CustomAuth from the IIS 6 Resource Kit Tools?

Per W.

"Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> skrev i melding
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Per W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ds78p1$820$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, is there some alternative to iisProtect and AuthentiX to protect
>> folders and files on a IIS server and manage users from web, maybe som
>> freeware or shareware?

> ASP.NET forms authentication?
> CustomAuth from the IIS 6 Resource Kit Tools?

I need a solution that my customer will be using to add and remove there
users/customers to access fodlrs with documents, it cant be integrated with
NT security. Will CustomAuth do this?

/Per W.

Kyle Peterson

check out www.aspprotect.com for starters
they got a free version you can try as well

its pretty much the standard in asp forms based authentication and I have
used it for a lot of projects.

Your not going to be able to automatically protect entire directories though
using any ASP solution.
You have to protect things file by file. You protect the asp files with
authentication, then you set up file streaming while logged in .. etc etc
etc

IISProtect requires installation on the server and that is why it can
protect on a directory level as it installs things on the server to handle
it...

"Per W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ds78p1$820$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, is there some alternative to iisProtect and AuthentiX to protect
> folders and files on a IIS server and manage users from web, maybe som
> freeware or shareware?
>
> /Per W.

Kyle Peterson

and of course if you have customers that need to do all of this via some
easy to use interface your out of luck.
might want to look into some asp.net solutions as protecting at the
directory level is possible with asp.net

"Kyle Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uX$(E-Mail Removed)...
> check out www.aspprotect.com for starters
> they got a free version you can try as well
>
> its pretty much the standard in asp forms based authentication and I have
> used it for a lot of projects.
>
> Your not going to be able to automatically protect entire directories
> though using any ASP solution.
> You have to protect things file by file. You protect the asp files with
> authentication, then you set up file streaming while logged in .. etc etc
> etc
>
> IISProtect requires installation on the server and that is why it can
> protect on a directory level as it installs things on the server to handle
> it...
>

> "Per W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ds78p1$820$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, is there some alternative to iisProtect and AuthentiX to protect
>> folders and files on a IIS server and manage users from web, maybe som
>> freeware or shareware?
>>
>> /Per W.

Per W.

"Kyle Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i melding
news:uX$(E-Mail Removed)...
> check out www.aspprotect.com for starters
> they got a free version you can try as well
>
> its pretty much the standard in asp forms based authentication and I have
> used it for a lot of projects.
>
> Your not going to be able to automatically protect entire directories
> though using any ASP solution.
> You have to protect things file by file. You protect the asp files with
> authentication, then you set up file streaming while logged in .. etc etc
> etc
>
> IISProtect requires installation on the server and that is why it can
> protect on a directory level as it installs things on the server to handle
> it...

i need directory and file protection, iisprotect and AuthentiX is great on
that, but is there some shareware or freeware?

/Per W:

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

"Per W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ds7rgt$9rq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> skrev i melding
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Per W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ds78p1$820$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, is there some alternative to iisProtect and AuthentiX to protect
>>> folders and files on a IIS server and manage users from web, maybe som
>>> freeware or shareware?

>> ASP.NET forms authentication?
>> CustomAuth from the IIS 6 Resource Kit Tools?

> I need a solution that my customer will be using to add and remove there
> users/customers to access fodlrs with documents, it cant be integrated
> with NT security. Will CustomAuth do this?

Yes.

Kyle Peterson

humm, I dont think you are going to find something like those two products
for free that is any good.
I just have never seen anything like that free.

I think your options are buy one of them or go to asp.net where directory
protection is possible using built in solutions.
Either that or forget about doing the protection by directory.

news:ds8l3i$c1p$(E-Mail Removed)...