Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP or ActiveX

ASP or ActiveX

Meelis Lilbok

Hi

simple question

what is faster, ASP Code or compiled ActiveX DLL with same functions(queryng
data from ms sql server)

Regards;
Mex

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Meelis Lilbok wrote:
> Hi
>
> simple question
>

> what is faster, ASP Code or compiled ActiveX DLL with same
> functions(queryng data from ms sql server)

It depends. In general, compiled code will wait (i.e., for database
connections to be made, data to be returned from queries, etc.) just as long
as non-compiled code will wait. IOW, when it comes to working with a
database, bottlenecks usually have nothing to do with whether the code doing
the database communication is compiled or not.

Where compiled code may have an advantage is situations where a lot of extra
processing is done to the data after it is returned from the database.

When running ActiveX DLL's from ASP, you should be aware that there is some
overhead involved from instantiating the dll.

A more definitive answer can only be gained by testing both options in your
application.

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

paul@bullschmidt.com