Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > question about IIS and ASP

question about IIS and ASP

danielle.m.manning@gmail.com

I am using IIS 6.0 and plain old ASP. My IIS server is for
development, and is currently running different websites under
different virtual directories. Most of these websites use ASP.NET, but
we have a client on an old technology, and we wanted to put work for
them under the same website in a different virtual directory.

I set the virtual directory up successfully, and can access my site
via:

http://localhost/mynewclient/default.html

where default.html is just a "hello world" page. Comes up just fine.
The problem is, if I were to rename this page which contains html to a
..asp extension -- i get a 404 error. Is there something special I need
to do in IIS to allow the asp extensions to be run successfully?

Thanks for any insight,

Danielle

danielle.m.manning@gmail.com

Let me be clarify by saying that I actually have another VERY simple
asp page in the same directory which gives me a 404 error. There are
no database connections, no includes...there is nothing to this page.
The only thing that distinguishes it from the html page is that it is
has a .asp extension instead of a .html extension, and I try to access
it like this

http://localhost/mynewclient/default_asp.asp

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am using IIS 6.0 and plain old ASP. My IIS server is for
> development, and is currently running different websites under
> different virtual directories. Most of these websites use ASP.NET, but
> we have a client on an old technology, and we wanted to put work for
> them under the same website in a different virtual directory.
>
> I set the virtual directory up successfully, and can access my site
> via:
>
> http://localhost/mynewclient/default.html
>
> where default.html is just a "hello world" page. Comes up just fine.
> The problem is, if I were to rename this page which contains html to a
> .asp extension -- i get a 404 error. Is there something special I need
> to do in IIS to allow the asp extensions to be run successfully?

Yes, in the IIS MMC you need to go to the Web Service Extensions folder and
enable ASP.

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...y/centers/iis/

Bob Barrows [MVP]

> Let me be clarify by saying that I actually have another VERY simple
> asp page in the same directory which gives me a 404 error. There are
> no database connections, no includes...there is nothing to this page.
> The only thing that distinguishes it from the html page is that it is
> has a .asp extension instead of a .html extension, and I try to access
> it like this
>
> http://localhost/mynewclient/default_asp.asp

Your answer should be in this article:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2147
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

danielle.m.manning@gmail.com

THANK YOU!! That was it -- since all the other sites were ASP.NET, ASP
was not enabled. thanks!