Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Web Services from ASP

Reply
Thread Tools

Web Services from ASP

 
 
Jimbo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006
Hi,

I have a .net web service which has a method that takes an xml string as its
argument. I want to call this webservice method from ASP (classic) using a
mehtod other than the SOAP toolkit.

Can it be done simply by using the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP object? If so, how
do I specify the arguments to my method.

Service is e.g. http://a.b.c/service.asmx
Method is method
parameter is p1
argument is a1

Many thanks for any help on this,

Jimbo


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martin Honnen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-20-2006


Jimbo wrote:


> I have a .net web service which has a method that takes an xml string as its
> argument. I want to call this webservice method from ASP (classic) using a
> mehtod other than the SOAP toolkit.


Use the SOAP toolkit. If you can't use the SOAP toolkit on the real
server then for a start use it on your development server and have a
look at the SOAP request it generates (SOAP is XML), then make sure you
send that XML with

> Can it be done simply by using the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP object?


MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP and its send method. You also need to set the SOAP
action as a HTTP request header with the setRequestHeader method before
you call send.


--

Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael D. Kersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2006
Jimbo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a .net web service which has a method that takes an xml string as its
> argument. I want to call this webservice method from ASP (classic) using a
> mehtod other than the SOAP toolkit.
>
> Can it be done simply by using the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP object? If so, how
> do I specify the arguments to my method.
>
> Service is e.g. http://a.b.c/service.asmx
> Method is method
> parameter is p1
> argument is a1
>
> Many thanks for any help on this,
>
> Jimbo
>
>

You can download the free PDF version of
"XML Programming: Web Applications and Web Services
With JSP and ASP"
from http://apress.com/free/

Some other free books available there:
* Google, Amazon, and Beyond: Creating and Consuming Web Services
* Practical Common Lisp
* A Programmerís Introduction to PHP 4.0
* Writing Perl Modules for CPAN
* Programming VB.NET: A Guide For Experienced Programmers
* COM and .NET Interoperability
* Dissecting a C# Application: Inside SharpDevelop
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimbo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2006
Martin,

That's great, thanks. I can now communicate with my service correctly.

I have one further problem. One of the parameters to my service is a string
which is actually an xml document. This is giving me a problem when I send
using MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP because SOAP doesn't like the special characters
in the xml of the variable xmlVariable as below;

<xmlVariable>string</xmlVariable>

Is there a way of sending this variable without causing such problems.

Many thanks,

Jimbo.

"Martin Honnen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uWI%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> Jimbo wrote:
>
>
>> I have a .net web service which has a method that takes an xml string as
>> its
>> argument. I want to call this webservice method from ASP (classic) using
>> a
>> mehtod other than the SOAP toolkit.

>
> Use the SOAP toolkit. If you can't use the SOAP toolkit on the real server
> then for a start use it on your development server and have a look at the
> SOAP request it generates (SOAP is XML), then make sure you send that XML
> with
>
>> Can it be done simply by using the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP object?

>
> MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP and its send method. You also need to set the SOAP
> action as a HTTP request header with the setRequestHeader method before
> you call send.
>
>
> --
>
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimbo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2006
OK,

I've sorted this using a DOMDocument object.

Jimbo.

"Jimbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dr4vpm$q1t$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Martin,
>
> That's great, thanks. I can now communicate with my service correctly.
>
> I have one further problem. One of the parameters to my service is a
> string which is actually an xml document. This is giving me a problem when
> I send using MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP because SOAP doesn't like the special
> characters in the xml of the variable xmlVariable as below;
>
> <xmlVariable>string</xmlVariable>
>
> Is there a way of sending this variable without causing such problems.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jimbo.
>
> "Martin Honnen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uWI%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>
>> Jimbo wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I have a .net web service which has a method that takes an xml string as
>>> its
>>> argument. I want to call this webservice method from ASP (classic) using
>>> a
>>> mehtod other than the SOAP toolkit.

>>
>> Use the SOAP toolkit. If you can't use the SOAP toolkit on the real
>> server then for a start use it on your development server and have a look
>> at the SOAP request it generates (SOAP is XML), then make sure you send
>> that XML with
>>
>>> Can it be done simply by using the MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP object?

>>
>> MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP and its send method. You also need to set the SOAP
>> action as a HTTP request header with the setRequestHeader method before
>> you call send.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
>> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Web services as Windows Services start Anup ASP .Net 1 05-09-2006 11:44 AM
How .NET web services client handles exceptions from Java web services? John ASP .Net Web Services 4 03-31-2006 10:13 PM
What is the difference between C# windows Services and web services in vs.net? Nick ASP .Net 1 09-12-2005 02:33 PM
Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET Web applications or services. Ahmed El Lakani ASP General 2 05-23-2004 03:10 PM
how to implement Services Interface Tier (web services) Szymi MCSD 0 11-03-2003 10:50 AM



Advertisments