Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Microsoft.XMLDOM ASP XML parsing

Microsoft.XMLDOM ASP XML parsing

I have an XML string

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>

That I am trying to retrieve the values between the tags for.
I want to get the value from
<Status>FAIL</Status>
so I get the value "FAIL"

I am using the following code (and have tried MANY variations) to retrieve
the specific field values but I can not find out how to do this.

response.Write(xml.childNodes(1).text)

This writes the ENTIRE XML data to the screen. I want to get the above data
ONLY.

I want to be able to do this ALL in ASP server side ONLY.

Any help would be apprciated.

Thank You.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

B wrote:
> I have an XML string
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
> 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>
>

> That I am trying to retrieve the values between the tags for.
> I want to get the value from
> <Status>FAIL</Status>
> so I get the value "FAIL"
>
> I am using the following code (and have tried MANY variations) to
> retrieve the specific field values but I can not find out how to do
> this.
>

> response.Write(xml.childNodes(1).text)
>
> This writes the ENTIRE XML data to the screen. I want to get the
> above data ONLY.
>
> I want to be able to do this ALL in ASP server side ONLY.
>
> Any help would be apprciated.
>
> Thank You.

response.write xml.selectSingleNode("//Status").text

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

AnthonyWJones

Assuming the xml variable is the document element then childNodes(1) refers
to the Message element.

Given the XML loaded in to DOM variable called oDOM you need:-

oDOM.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status").text

"B" wrote:

> I have an XML string
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
> 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>
>

> That I am trying to retrieve the values between the tags for.
> I want to get the value from
> <Status>FAIL</Status>
> so I get the value "FAIL"
>
> I am using the following code (and have tried MANY variations) to retrieve
> the specific field values but I can not find out how to do this.
>

> response.Write(xml.childNodes(1).text)
>
> This writes the ENTIRE XML data to the screen. I want to get the above data
> ONLY.
>
> I want to be able to do this ALL in ASP server side ONLY.
>
> Any help would be apprciated.
>
> Thank You.

I am unsure what the oDOM variable is or if I need to set anything to it

I am laoding the xml data like this:

Dim xml
Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
xml.async = False
xml.loadXML(xmlData)

where xmlData is a variable that is filled with the data from an
Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0")
get method.

I tried the below from the previous post.
response.write xml.selectSingleNode("//Status").text
and I get an error:
Object required: '[object]'
on that line of code.

Can you please tell me what I need to do/set to get the oDom variable
populated for your suggestion to work?

"AnthonyWJones" wrote:

> Assuming the xml variable is the document element then childNodes(1) refers
> to the Message element.
>
> Given the XML loaded in to DOM variable called oDOM you need:-
>
> oDOM.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status").text
>

> "B" wrote:
>
> > I have an XML string
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
> > 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>
> >

> > That I am trying to retrieve the values between the tags for.
> > I want to get the value from
> > <Status>FAIL</Status>
> > so I get the value "FAIL"
> >
> > I am using the following code (and have tried MANY variations) to retrieve
> > the specific field values but I can not find out how to do this.
> >

> > response.Write(xml.childNodes(1).text)
> >
> > This writes the ENTIRE XML data to the screen. I want to get the above data
> > ONLY.
> >
> > I want to be able to do this ALL in ASP server side ONLY.
> >
> > Any help would be apprciated.
> >
> > Thank You.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

B wrote:
> I am unsure what the oDOM variable is or if I need to set anything to
> it

He's talking about an xml domdocument, which is what your code is creating.

> I am laoding the xml data like this:
>
> Dim xml
> Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
> xml.async = False
> xml.loadXML(xmlData)
>
> where xmlData is a variable that is filled with the data from an
> Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0")
> get method.
>
> I tried the below from the previous post.
> response.write xml.selectSingleNode("//Status").text
> and I get an error:
> Object required: '[object]'
> on that line of code.
>
> Can you please tell me what I need to do/set to get the oDom variable
> populated for your suggestion to work?

Since this is my code, you should have replied to me. Since that line
failed, that means your xml is not as you represented it. You must remember
that xml is case sensitive, so if your xml contains <status></status> and I
search for //Status, I will not find anything.

A more error-proof way of doing this is:

set node = xml.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status")
if isnothing(node) then
response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/Status"""
else
response.write node.text
end if

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> A more error-proof way of doing this is:
>
> set node = xml.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status")
> if isnothing(node) then
> response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/Status"""
> else
> response.write node.text
> end if

Actually, this will work better:

set node = nothing
set node = xml.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status")
if isnothing(node) then
response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/Status"""
else
response.write node.text
end if

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Hello,

I appreciate the help but I am still unable to get this to work.

My exact XML string is (being writtin to the screen code using
responce.write):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>

The IsNothing() code does not work for me, I get a "Type Mismatch" error on
this.

But if I take out that check and just try to write the Node.text to the
screen it still does not work. I would appareciate your help some more in
this.

My exact code I am using (minus the URL where I am getting the XML data from
(cant post as security reasons)) is below between the 2 lines.

Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP.3.0")

xml.Open "GET", "URL HERE", False,"ID","PW"
xml.Send
Dim xmlData
xmlData = xml.responseText

%>

<%Response.Write xmlData %>

<%

Dim xml
Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
xml.async = False
xml.loadXML(xmlData)

set node = nothing
set node = xml.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status")
if IsNothing(node) then
'if isblank(node) then
response.Write("NOT FOUND")
else
response.write(node.text)
end if

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
> > A more error-proof way of doing this is:
> >
> > set node = xml.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status")
> > if isnothing(node) then
> > response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/Status"""
> > else
> > response.write node.text
> > end if
> >

> Actually, this will work better:
>
> set node = nothing
> set node = xml.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/Status")
> if isnothing(node) then
> response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/Status"""
> else
> response.write node.text
> end if
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I appreciate the help but I am still unable to get this to work.
>
> My exact XML string is (being writtin to the screen code using
> responce.write):
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
> 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>
>

> The IsNothing() code does not work for me, I get a "Type Mismatch"
> error on this.

I should have used "Is Nothing" - sorry about that. This code is tested and
works as desired:

<%
dim xmlstring, xmldoc,node
xmlstring="<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>" & _
"<SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find " & _
"session id of 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>"
set xmldoc=CreateObject("msxml2.domdocument")
xmldoc.loadXML xmlstring
set node = nothing
set node = xmldoc.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/status")
if node is nothing then
response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/status"""
else
response.write node.text
end if

%>

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

That worked! THANKS!!

Of cource now the data they are sending to me thought the XML get method is
formatted wrong, it is returning to XML definitions so it wont work till they
fix that part, but it works with the hard coded XML data.

THANKS AGAIN

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> B wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I appreciate the help but I am still unable to get this to work.
> >
> > My exact XML string is (being writtin to the screen code using
> > responce.write):
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
> > 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>
> >

> > The IsNothing() code does not work for me, I get a "Type Mismatch"
> > error on this.

> I should have used "Is Nothing" - sorry about that. This code is tested and
> works as desired:
>
> <%
> dim xmlstring, xmldoc,node
> xmlstring="<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>" & _
> "<SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find " & _
> "session id of 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>"
> set xmldoc=CreateObject("msxml2.domdocument")
> xmldoc.loadXML xmlstring
> set node = nothing
> set node = xmldoc.selectSingleNode("/SSOUser/status")
> if node is nothing then
> response.write "Could not find ""/SSOUser/status"""
> else
> response.write node.text
> end if
>
> %>
>
> Bob Barrows
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

dNagel

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find session id of
1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>

That is your exact string right?

you were writing it with

<%Response.Write xmlData %>

and notice that this is what you have working when it's hard coded...

xmlstring="<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""UTF-8""?>" & _
"<SSOUser><Status>FAIL</Status><Message>Unable to find " & _
"session id of 1137018716939</Message></SSOUser>"

This suggests that you need to escape all double quotes in your source string
before using it as your XML source. You do that by doing a Replace on all
"""" with """""" this is replacing " with "".

<%Response.Write Replace(xmlData, """", """""") %>

....never know... I didn't test this idea, but, it's a quick fix if
that's really the problem

hth,

D.