Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Error instantiating a COM+ proxy

Error instantiating a COM+ proxy

Brian Muth

You can always tell directly what permission is being denied if you turn on
logon auditing in your local security settings.

HTH

Brian

Griff

Solved it.

Because the two machines are NOT in the same domain, authentication is not
passed around using SIDs but by encrypted username and password.

The context that the application is being run under (on the WEB tier) is of
course the IUSR_Server user. By default, IIS controls the password for
IUSR_Server.

What I had to do was to create a user on the DATA tier "IUSR_Server" and
give that a password of "1234" (for example). On the web tier, I then had
to stop IIS controlling the password and change it to "1234". After that,
everything worked.

Well, it did in our test environment. Yet to try it on our production
environment, but fingers crossed!

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's help in this.

Griff

Brian Muth

> Because the two machines are NOT in the same domain....

Ah, a key piece of information missing from your posts.

Glad you solved it!

Brian