Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Error using XML - MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument

Error using XML - MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument

s_m_b

This has me stumped.

I've built an RSS reader using

Set objXML = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocumen t")
objXML.async = False
objXML.setProperty "ServerHTTPRequest", True
objXML.Load(BBS&"/yabb.pl?action=rss;feedboard="&board)

there are two versions of the RSS feed, identical as far as I can make
out, but whereas one works and gets parsed and displayed, the other
errors:

Error: opening (http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/yabb_21/nph-yabb.pl?
action=rss;feedboard=exchange) The download of the specified resource has
failed. Line No.: 0 Character: 0 File Position: 0 Source Text: Error
Code:
-2146697208

I've tested both feeds via Feeddemon, and they both view through that,
and loading the page directly into Firefox, both come up with the same
"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated
with it. The document tree is shown below."
In IE, the viewable one shows the xml code, the error one comes back
blank.
The only very slight difference I can see via feeddemon's view source is
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
for the dud one and
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
for the viewable one. Taking the encoding out desn't make any difference
though.

Mettá

I can't answer your issue, but may have a similar problem with RSS and
encoding.

Do you know how to set encoding within ASP pages? As
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?> and others do not affect the
database output as this defaults to the server settings (in my case
US-ASCII which fouls up numerous characters?

---
"s_m_b" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns97487A90C451Fsmb2000nshotrmailcom@207.46.2 48.16...
> This has me stumped.
>
> I've built an RSS reader using
>
> Set objXML = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocumen t")
> objXML.async = False
> objXML.setProperty "ServerHTTPRequest", True
> objXML.Load(BBS&"/yabb.pl?action=rss;feedboard="&board)
>
> there are two versions of the RSS feed, identical as far as I can make
> out, but whereas one works and gets parsed and displayed, the other
> errors:
>
> Error: opening (http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/yabb_21/nph-yabb.pl?
> action=rss;feedboard=exchange) The download of the specified resource has
> failed. Line No.: 0 Character: 0 File Position: 0 Source Text: Error
> Code:
> -2146697208
>

> I've tested both feeds via Feeddemon, and they both view through that,
> and loading the page directly into Firefox, both come up with the same
> "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated
> with it. The document tree is shown below."
> In IE, the viewable one shows the xml code, the error one comes back
> blank.
> The only very slight difference I can see via feeddemon's view source is
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
> for the dud one and
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
> for the viewable one. Taking the encoding out desn't make any difference
> though.

s_m_b

"Mettá" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:O#(E-Mail Removed):

Response.Write ("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""utf-8""?>" & vbLf)
Response.Write ("<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC ""-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Transitional//EN"" ""http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
transitional.dtd"">" & vbLf)
Response.Write ("<html xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml""
xml:lang=""en"">" & vbLf)

is my standard 'header' for asp pages
or

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<rss version="2.0"
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
for RSS

can't guarantee that this'll sort your encoding, but keeping to utf and iso
always seems to give good standard output. The main issue with RSS I find
is that any characters outside the alpha-numerical standard have to be
encoded otherwise some readers get upset.