Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > CMD.exe using ASP

CMD.exe using ASP

Rodger

I have a script that I want to run however I cannot get it to work. Every
time I run the script I get . . . . .

HERE IS THE CODE (ASP)
set wshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
wshell.run ("j:\gwsend.exe /t=(E-Mail Removed) /s=""" & Time() &
"message sent"" /m=""This is a test from the intranet""")
set wshell = nothing

HERE IS THE ERROR MESSAGE
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 1/5/2006
Time: 3:59:19 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WEBSRV3
Application popup: gwsend.exe - Application Error : The application failed
to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
application.

This sounds like a permissions issue, so what user do I use and where do I
set it to make this work.

I am getting the error on the Server (where I want it to run)
Windows 2000 SP3, IIS5, FrontPage Server Extension 2002

Thank you,

Rodger

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Why on earth are you sending mail like that?!

Is J: a local drive?

Make sure IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission to gwsend.exe. Also, as I'm not
familiar with that command line tool, if that uses any sort of a temp
directory, make sure that IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission to write to it.

Ray at home

"Rodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a script that I want to run however I cannot get it to work. Every
> time I run the script I get . . . . .
>

> HERE IS THE CODE (ASP)
> set wshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> wshell.run ("j:\gwsend.exe /t=(E-Mail Removed) /s=""" & Time() &
> "message sent"" /m=""This is a test from the intranet""")
> set wshell = nothing
>
> HERE IS THE ERROR MESSAGE
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Application Popup
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 26
> Date: 1/5/2006
> Time: 3:59:19 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: WEBSRV3
> Application popup: gwsend.exe - Application Error : The application failed
> to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
> application.
>

> This sounds like a permissions issue, so what user do I use and where do I
> set it to make this work.
>
> I am getting the error on the Server (where I want it to run)
> Windows 2000 SP3, IIS5, FrontPage Server Extension 2002
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rodger

Rodger

Ray,

It was not my first choice to send it this way. I was using CDONTS, but due
to some incomparability issues I am trying a very basic way. At least that
is what I thought this would be.

J: is a network drive that the machine has rights to, I will look to see if
IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission. Even if I have the file local to the machine I
get the same error. I have even placed a copy of the file within the site.
I gave IUSR_WEBSRV3 full permissions for the entire site and still no luck.
IUSR_WEBSRV3 has write permission to the temp directory.

Rodger at work

message news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...

&
> > "message sent"" /m=""This is a test from the intranet""")
> > set wshell = nothing
> >
> > HERE IS THE ERROR MESSAGE
> > Event Type: Information
> > Event Source: Application Popup
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 26
> > Date: 1/5/2006
> > Time: 3:59:19 PM
> > User: N/A
> > Computer: WEBSRV3
> > Application popup: gwsend.exe - Application Error : The application

failed
> > to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
> > application.
> >

> > This sounds like a permissions issue, so what user do I use and where do

> > set it to make this work.
> >
> > I am getting the error on the Server (where I want it to run)
> > Windows 2000 SP3, IIS5, FrontPage Server Extension 2002
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Rodger

AnthonyWJones

Have you considered porting your CDONTS code to CDOSYS (that is CDO for
windows 2000)?

"Rodger" wrote:

> Ray,
>
> It was not my first choice to send it this way. I was using CDONTS, but due
> to some incomparability issues I am trying a very basic way. At least that
> is what I thought this would be.
>
> J: is a network drive that the machine has rights to, I will look to see if
> IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission. Even if I have the file local to the machine I
> get the same error. I have even placed a copy of the file within the site.
> I gave IUSR_WEBSRV3 full permissions for the entire site and still no luck.
> IUSR_WEBSRV3 has write permission to the temp directory.
>
> Rodger at work

> message news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why on earth are you sending mail like that?!
> >
> > Is J: a local drive?
> >
> > Make sure IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission to gwsend.exe. Also, as I'm not
> > familiar with that command line tool, if that uses any sort of a temp
> > directory, make sure that IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission to write to it.
> >
> > Ray at home
> >
> > "Rodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I have a script that I want to run however I cannot get it to work.

> Every
> > > time I run the script I get . . . . .
> > >

> > > HERE IS THE CODE (ASP)
> > > set wshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> > > wshell.run ("j:\gwsend.exe /t=(E-Mail Removed) /s=""" & Time()

> &
> > > "message sent"" /m=""This is a test from the intranet""")
> > > set wshell = nothing
> > >
> > > HERE IS THE ERROR MESSAGE
> > > Event Type: Information
> > > Event Source: Application Popup
> > > Event Category: None
> > > Event ID: 26
> > > Date: 1/5/2006
> > > Time: 3:59:19 PM
> > > User: N/A
> > > Computer: WEBSRV3
> > > Application popup: gwsend.exe - Application Error : The application

> failed
> > > to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
> > > application.
> > >

> > > This sounds like a permissions issue, so what user do I use and where do

> > > set it to make this work.
> > >
> > > I am getting the error on the Server (where I want it to run)
> > > Windows 2000 SP3, IIS5, FrontPage Server Extension 2002
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Rodger

Kyle Peterson

consider trying to send the email using CDOSYS. It will probably be a lot
easier and unless your using NT 4 your server probably has it available for
use.

http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/...ail_cdosys.asp

http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/...ing_cdosys.asp

"Rodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray,
>
> It was not my first choice to send it this way. I was using CDONTS, but
> due
> to some incomparability issues I am trying a very basic way. At least
> that
> is what I thought this would be.
>
> J: is a network drive that the machine has rights to, I will look to see
> if
> IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission. Even if I have the file local to the machine
> get the same error. I have even placed a copy of the file within the site.
> I gave IUSR_WEBSRV3 full permissions for the entire site and still no
> luck.
> IUSR_WEBSRV3 has write permission to the temp directory.
>
> Rodger at work

> message news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why on earth are you sending mail like that?!
>>
>> Is J: a local drive?
>>
>> Make sure IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission to gwsend.exe. Also, as I'm not
>> familiar with that command line tool, if that uses any sort of a temp
>> directory, make sure that IUSR_WEBSRV3 has permission to write to it.
>>
>> Ray at home
>>
>> "Rodger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a script that I want to run however I cannot get it to work.

> Every
>> > time I run the script I get . . . . .
>> >

>> > HERE IS THE CODE (ASP)
>> > set wshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
>> > wshell.run ("j:\gwsend.exe /t=(E-Mail Removed) /s=""" &
>> > Time()

> &
>> > "message sent"" /m=""This is a test from the intranet""")
>> > set wshell = nothing
>> >
>> > HERE IS THE ERROR MESSAGE
>> > Event Type: Information
>> > Event Source: Application Popup
>> > Event Category: None
>> > Event ID: 26
>> > Date: 1/5/2006
>> > Time: 3:59:19 PM
>> > User: N/A
>> > Computer: WEBSRV3
>> > Application popup: gwsend.exe - Application Error : The application

> failed
>> > to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
>> > application.
>> >

>> > This sounds like a permissions issue, so what user do I use and where
>> > do

>> > set it to make this work.
>> >
>> > I am getting the error on the Server (where I want it to run)
>> > Windows 2000 SP3, IIS5, FrontPage Server Extension 2002
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> > Rodger

Rodger

OK I am sending mail that way as well and that is not the problem. The
problem is with an agent that is running on the mail client. When an email
is sent to our HELP Desk the agent reads the mail and then creates a HELP
Desk ticket from it. The problem is sending it as plain text. The email I
used to send was all HTML and the agent chokes on it and stops working. It
only happens when this certain email is generated, I tried sending the email
as palin text and that did not help. It was then suggested to me that I use
GWSend, and that is why I am wanting to do this. my CDOSYS/CDNOTS works
like a champ. It is only the SHELL command I am having an issue with . . .
.. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...