Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > transfer SQL data

transfer SQL data

shank

I need to make a table's data available to users. The table is about 150,000
rows x 20 columns. So Excel is out of the question. I think the next common
file types would be MDB or DBF. Using ASP, what are the steps to converting
this data to one of those file types, then ZIPPING the files for download?

thanks

Larry Bud

shank wrote:
> I need to make a table's data available to users. The table is about 150,000
> rows x 20 columns. So Excel is out of the question. I think the next common
> file types would be MDB or DBF. Using ASP, what are the steps to converting
> this data to one of those file types, then ZIPPING the files for download?

What do they need to do with it? Do they need to access it through an
ASP page?

You could export it as XML just by adding "for xml auto" to the end of
the SQL statement.

shank

"Larry Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> shank wrote:
>> I need to make a table's data available to users. The table is about
>> 150,000
>> rows x 20 columns. So Excel is out of the question. I think the next
>> common
>> file types would be MDB or DBF. Using ASP, what are the steps to
>> converting
>> this data to one of those file types, then ZIPPING the files for
>> download?

> What do they need to do with it? Do they need to access it through an
> ASP page?
>
> You could export it as XML just by adding "for xml auto" to the end of
> the SQL statement.

I don't think the XML solution is practical for the size of the file. I
think I prefer writing to a DBF or MDB. I don't want to write it to the
screen, just to a file for zipping or download.
thanks

Bob Barrows [MVP]

shank wrote:
> "Larry Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> shank wrote:
>>> I need to make a table's data available to users. The table is about
>>> 150,000
>>> rows x 20 columns. So Excel is out of the question. I think the next
>>> common
>>> file types would be MDB or DBF. Using ASP, what are the steps to
>>> converting
>>> this data to one of those file types, then ZIPPING the files for
>>> download?

>> What do they need to do with it? Do they need to access it through
>> an ASP page?
>>
>> You could export it as XML just by adding "for xml auto" to the end
>> of the SQL statement.

> I don't think the XML solution is practical for the size of the file.
> I think I prefer writing to a DBF or MDB. I don't want to write it to
> the screen, just to a file for zipping or download.
> thanks

Fine, but the other question Larry asked is equally important. In order for
us to provide a good recommendation, you need to provide as much information
as possible.

Are you simply creating a report to be printed? Is somebody actually going
to read the data contained in 3,000,000 fields? Would it make more sense to
provide a summary of this data?

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

shank

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> shank wrote:
>> "Larry Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>>> What do they need to do with it? Do they need to access it through
>>> an ASP page?
>>>
>>> You could export it as XML just by adding "for xml auto" to the end
>>> of the SQL statement.

>> I don't think the XML solution is practical for the size of the file.
>> I think I prefer writing to a DBF or MDB. I don't want to write it to
>> the screen, just to a file for zipping or download.
>> thanks

> Fine, but the other question Larry asked is equally important. In order
> for us to provide a good recommendation, you need to provide as much
> information as possible.
>
> Are you simply creating a report to be printed? Is somebody actually going
> to read the data contained in 3,000,000 fields? Would it make more sense
> to provide a summary of this data?
>
> Bob Barrows

Users will be downloading the contents of a table so that they can populate
their own databases with product. This will happen many times throughout a
week. They will be comparing what we have discontinued and of course what is
new product. With about 150,000 rows and 20+ columns of data, I don't think
XML is practical. The ideal method would be to automate a process every
morning that would write a new MDB or DBF or maybe both, zip them and make
them available for download. I'm only guessing at this point, but I would
imagine 5MB-6MB of data. I don't want any writing to screen. It would be of
no use.

thanks!

Bob Barrows [MVP]

shank wrote:
> Users will be downloading the contents of a table so that they can
> populate their own databases with product. This will happen many
> times throughout a week. They will be comparing what we have
> discontinued and of course what is new product. With about 150,000
> rows and 20+ columns of data, I don't think XML is practical. The
> ideal method would be to automate a process every morning that would
> write a new MDB or DBF or maybe both, zip them and make them
> available for download. I'm only guessing at this point, but I would
> imagine 5MB-6MB of data. I don't want any writing to screen. It would
> be of no use.
> thanks!

How many users are we talking about? Is this in a LAN/WAN? Or over the
internet?

My first thought is to provide them with an Access database containing a
linked table. This database file would not need to be provided via ASP. If
you are on a LAN/WAN, it could be put on a file server. The users would need
instructions in creating an ODBC DSN (or a startup macor could be written to
automate the creation of the DSN - see an Access group for details)

You can create a read-only view of the table in you SQL Server database, and
point the linked table at that view.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

shank

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> shank wrote:
>> Users will be downloading the contents of a table so that they can
>> populate their own databases with product. This will happen many
>> times throughout a week. They will be comparing what we have
>> discontinued and of course what is new product. With about 150,000
>> rows and 20+ columns of data, I don't think XML is practical. The
>> ideal method would be to automate a process every morning that would
>> write a new MDB or DBF or maybe both, zip them and make them
>> available for download. I'm only guessing at this point, but I would
>> imagine 5MB-6MB of data. I don't want any writing to screen. It would
>> be of no use.
>> thanks!

> How many users are we talking about? Is this in a LAN/WAN? Or over the
> internet?
>
> My first thought is to provide them with an Access database containing a
> linked table. This database file would not need to be provided via ASP. If
> you are on a LAN/WAN, it could be put on a file server. The users would
> need instructions in creating an ODBC DSN (or a startup macor could be
> written to automate the creation of the DSN - see an Access group for
> details)
>
> You can create a read-only view of the table in you SQL Server database,
> and point the linked table at that view.
>
> Bob Barrows

I've gone the route of trying to get users to setup an ODBC connection with
Access. It works great for the techie users, unfortunately, the bulk of
users are not going the route of ODBC. I can only assume they do not
understand. That leaves me with providing a file to download over the
internet. Up to 400 users will have access.
thanks

Bob Barrows [MVP]

shank wrote:

> I've gone the route of trying to get users to setup an ODBC
> connection with Access. It works great for the techie users,
> unfortunately, the bulk of users are not going the route of ODBC. I
> can only assume they do not understand. That leaves me with providing
> a file to download over the internet. Up to 400 users will have
> access.

Again, it is possible to create a VBA sub in an Access module that will
automate the creation of the DSN. That should not be considered an obstacle.
The obstacle is "the internet". A linked table will not work outside a LAN
or WAN.

What I would do is create a DTS package to export the SQL Server data to an
mdb file and schedule it to run nightly. Use a third-party tool to zip it in
an ActiveX script in the DTS package. Then provide a link to the zip file to
the users.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

shank

> I've gone the route of trying to get users to setup an ODBC connection
> with Access. It works great for the techie users, unfortunately, the bulk
> of users are not going the route of ODBC. I can only assume they do not
> understand. That leaves me with providing a file to download over the
> internet. Up to 400 users will have access.
> thanks

Is anyone familiar with: http://www.motobit.com/help/RSConv/database.asp
Recordset Converter

It appears to be what I want,but I don't know if it will work on a server
environment.
Is there another alternative?

thanks!