Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > cant debug asp code

cant debug asp code

Rea

Hey eb
After installing microsoft's script debugger,
I configured my default web site and internet explorer
to enable script debugging.

But when stepping into debugging mode in some asp page
i can't see the server side code of it (<%%> ).
Also in the debugger's Running documents window, i only see one branch
of documents, descending from the internet explorer node.
No trace there for the iis side of things..
My default scripting language in the asp page and the iis is JavaScript.
Can this make a diference??
Also the following properties are set on the site's virtual directory:
Script source access is checked and execute permissions are
scripts and executables. Still no change..
Any idea what i may had missed??
I am using w2k sp4 server and iis 5.
TIA
Rea

Kyle Peterson

asp does not really support debugging... going into the debugger is not
going to help
your better off just looking at the script error and line number and going
from there.

then again I do not use javascript in my asp code som maybe I am wrong
there.

with vbscript the debugger is not helpful, I can tell you that

"Rea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey eb
> After installing microsoft's script debugger,
> I configured my default web site and internet explorer
> to enable script debugging.
>
> But when stepping into debugging mode in some asp page
> i can't see the server side code of it (<%%> ).
> Also in the debugger's Running documents window, i only see one branch
> of documents, descending from the internet explorer node.
> No trace there for the iis side of things..
> My default scripting language in the asp page and the iis is JavaScript.
> Can this make a diference??
> Also the following properties are set on the site's virtual directory:
> Script source access is checked and execute permissions are
> scripts and executables. Still no change..
> Any idea what i may had missed??
> I am using w2k sp4 server and iis 5.
> TIA
> Rea

Dale

I debug server side script in ASP regularly. I always did with Visual
Interdev 6 and now with Visual Studio .Net 2003.

What I have not debugged server side script in ASP with is the Microsoft
Script Debugger, so I can't say for sure it will work but I suspect that it
will since the debuggers I use do treat serverside ASP as script.

The one obvious thing I noticed in your post is that you didn't mention
enabling debugging in IIS. On the default website to enable debugging on all
sites, or your specific ASP site to enable debugging only there, open the IIS
properties. Click the Configure button near where you enable the site
application. On the configure form, you will see where you can enable
debugging of ASP pages.

Or you can see my response above under the subject "Help with debugging ASP"
on 12/29/2005. That post outlines how to enable ASP debugging from within
VS.Net 2003.

Good luck
--
Dale Preston
MCAD C#

"Kyle Peterson" wrote:

> asp does not really support debugging... going into the debugger is not
> going to help
> your better off just looking at the script error and line number and going
> from there.
>
> then again I do not use javascript in my asp code som maybe I am wrong
> there.
>
> with vbscript the debugger is not helpful, I can tell you that
>

> "Rea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey eb
> > After installing microsoft's script debugger,
> > I configured my default web site and internet explorer
> > to enable script debugging.
> >
> > But when stepping into debugging mode in some asp page
> > i can't see the server side code of it (<%%> ).
> > Also in the debugger's Running documents window, i only see one branch
> > of documents, descending from the internet explorer node.
> > No trace there for the iis side of things..
> > My default scripting language in the asp page and the iis is JavaScript.
> > Can this make a diference??
> > Also the following properties are set on the site's virtual directory:
> > Script source access is checked and execute permissions are
> > scripts and executables. Still no change..
> > Any idea what i may had missed??
> > I am using w2k sp4 server and iis 5.
> > TIA
> > Rea

Kyle Peterson

interesting info, I didn't know that, sounds like a whole lotta fun though

news:(E-Mail Removed)...