Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > opening bianry files from hard disk

opening bianry files from hard disk

moony marouane

Hi all

I'm looking for code regarding opening (not saving) binary files (pdf, word,
excel...) from hard disk with asp, the website is hosted in C:\ and the pdf
files are in D:\.
Does anyone have an idea about this??

Many thanks in advance.

Moony.

Evertjan.

moony marouane wrote on 22 dec 2005 in

> I'm looking for code regarding opening (not saving) binary files (pdf,
> word, excel...) from hard disk with asp, the website is hosted in C:\
> and the pdf files are in D:\.
> Does anyone have an idea about this??

binary stream

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

moony marouane

Many thanks for your reply Evertjan, but actually I'm looking for code to
open files not to save them.

To be more clear, I have an asp file (hosted in c:\ of my web server) that
lists (filesystemobjects) the content of a folder in D:\, in this asp file I
have in front of each file 3 links (download/print/open), the download link
works great but not the 2 other links.

when I use the absolute path and try to open the files from another pc (not
the webserver where the website is hosted) it tries to look for it in the
local computer and not the webserver so it gives "page can not be displayed"

Hope I clarified my problem.

Thanks again.

Moony

"Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> moony marouane wrote on 22 dec 2005 in
>
> > I'm looking for code regarding opening (not saving) binary files (pdf,
> > word, excel...) from hard disk with asp, the website is hosted in C:\
> > and the pdf files are in D:\.
> > Does anyone have an idea about this??

> binary stream
>
> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Evertjan.

moony marouane wrote on 24 dec 2005 in

> "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>> moony marouane wrote on 22 dec 2005 in
>>
>> > I'm looking for code regarding opening (not saving) binary files
>> > (pdf, word, excel...) from hard disk with asp, the website is
>> > hosted in C:\ and the pdf files are in D:\.
>> > Does anyone have an idea about this??

>> binary stream
>>
>> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

[please do not toppost on usenet]

> Many thanks for your reply Evertjan, but actually I'm looking for code
> to open files not to save them.

The below example gets a file from the server HD and then sends it to the
client, not neccessarily for saving.

========== main.asp ================

====================================

=========== myPDF.asp ==============

<%
pdf("myPDF.pdf")

function pdf(x)
Response.Clear

strFileName="/mySecretFolder/" & x
strFilePath=server.mappath(strFilename)

'' or: strFileName="c:\myRootFolder\" & x

Set objStream = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
objStream.Open

objStream.Type = 1
objStream.LoadFromFile strFilePath
Response.BinaryWrite objStream.Read
objStream.Close
Set objStream = Nothing
Response.end
end function
%>

=======================================

> To be more clear, I have an asp file (hosted in c:\ of my web server)
> that lists (filesystemobjects) the content of a folder in D:\, in this
> asp file I have in front of each file 3 links (download/print/open),
> the download link works great but not the 2 other links.
>
> when I use the absolute path and try to open the files from another pc
> (not the webserver where the website is hosted) it tries to look for
> it in the local computer and not the webserver so it gives "page can
> not be displayed"
>
> Hope I clarified my problem.

Not compleatly, but will the above help?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

moony marouane

> moony marouane wrote on 24 dec 2005 in
>
> > "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> >> moony marouane wrote on 22 dec 2005 in
> >> microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> >> binary stream
> >>
> >> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161
> >>

> [please do not toppost on usenet]
>
> > Many thanks for your reply Evertjan, but actually I'm looking for code
> > to open files not to save them.

> The below example gets a file from the server HD and then sends it to the
> client, not neccessarily for saving.
>
> ========== main.asp ================

> ====================================
>

> =========== myPDF.asp ==============
>
> <%
> pdf("myPDF.pdf")
>
> function pdf(x)
> Response.Clear
>
> strFileName="/mySecretFolder/" & x
> strFilePath=server.mappath(strFilename)
>
> '' or: strFileName="c:\myRootFolder\" & x
>
> Set objStream = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
> objStream.Open
>
> objStream.Type = 1
> objStream.LoadFromFile strFilePath
> Response.ContentType = "application/pdf"
> Response.BinaryWrite objStream.Read
> objStream.Close
> Set objStream = Nothing
> Response.end
> end function
> %>
>
> =======================================
>

> > To be more clear, I have an asp file (hosted in c:\ of my web server)
> > that lists (filesystemobjects) the content of a folder in D:\, in this
> > asp file I have in front of each file 3 links (download/print/open),
> > the download link works great but not the 2 other links.
> >
> > when I use the absolute path and try to open the files from another pc
> > (not the webserver where the website is hosted) it tries to look for
> > it in the local computer and not the webserver so it gives "page can
> > not be displayed"
> >
> > Hope I clarified my problem.

> Not compleatly, but will the above help?
>

> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

Many thanks again for your reply, the code you gave me didn't work, it opens
up the pdf file in the form of text.
This one worked for me :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276488/en-us
Thanks again.
Moony.

moony marouane

I can't see the difference between both solutions, but the second worked
whereas the one you sent didn't work.

moony marouane

Hi again.

I have another question, what about printing files without opening them, I
have the URL of the file and I want to print it directly to printer (with
message confirmation).
Any help is too much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Evertjan.

moony marouane wrote on 26 dec 2005 in

> Hi again.
>
> I have another question,

[please do not start new questions on usenet with an old subject string.]

> what about printing files without opening
> them, I have the URL of the file and I want to print it directly to
> printer (with message confirmation).
> Any help is too much appreciated.

If you mean printing it on the client via a regular browser,
that is and should be impossible with an internet security level.

Further more that is not ASP-related so off topic in this NG.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

moony marouane

I read once that there is a function that allows this, I just can't remember
what is it.
Anyway, thanks for your help.

Evertjan.

moony marouane wrote on 27 dec 2005 in

> I read once that there is a function that allows this, I just can't
> remember what is it.

Allows what?

This is usenet, not email, so please quote.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.