Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS 5 Serves HTML but won't serve ASP

IIS 5 Serves HTML but won't serve ASP

Evan Nelson

I'm not sure exactly what happened but my local development server will no
longer serve ASP pages. I can request HTML and they are served up fine.
When I ask for an ASP I get the generic 500 error. The web log files show
nothing more than the 500. I'm used to looking and finding the line in the
page that the error occurred on as well as the actual ASP error and the
description.

I looked at my System log and I noticed that there are two events being
logged by W3SVC that might have something to do with it. The first is Event
47 and the message logged with it is "The server certificate for instance '3'
does not chain up to a trusted root certificate. ". Then immediately
following is an Event 36 and the message says "The server failed to load
application '/LM/W3SVC/3/Root'. The error was 'General access denied error
'. "

This problem seems to have started since I installed "Security Update for
Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)" and
"Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" on Monday.

Steven Burn

http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2476

The latter refers to IIS6.x but you may be able to glean something from it.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

"Evan Nelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure exactly what happened but my local development server will no
> longer serve ASP pages. I can request HTML and they are served up fine.
> When I ask for an ASP I get the generic 500 error. The web log files show
> nothing more than the 500. I'm used to looking and finding the line in

the
> page that the error occurred on as well as the actual ASP error and the
> description.
>
> I looked at my System log and I noticed that there are two events being
> logged by W3SVC that might have something to do with it. The first is

Event
> 47 and the message logged with it is "The server certificate for instance

'3'
> does not chain up to a trusted root certificate. ". Then immediately
> following is an Event 36 and the message says "The server failed to load
> application '/LM/W3SVC/3/Root'. The error was 'General access denied

error
> '. "
>
> This problem seems to have started since I installed "Security Update for
> Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)" and
> "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" on Monday.

Evan Nelson

Steven,

Thanks but neither of these articles seems to have much to help. I already
have IIS set to send detailed messages. The issue is that there is no
additional info in the IIS log either.

I had no problems running the server last week. I really think the updates
I installed Monday either updated a dll and that is causing me problems or
that a security setting was changed by them.

Evan

"Steven Burn" wrote:

> http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
> http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2476
>
> The latter refers to IIS6.x but you may be able to glean something from it.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Steven Burn
> Ur I.T. Mate Group
> www.it-mate.co.uk
>
> Keeping it FREE!
>
> "Evan Nelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm not sure exactly what happened but my local development server will no
> > longer serve ASP pages. I can request HTML and they are served up fine.
> > When I ask for an ASP I get the generic 500 error. The web log files show
> > nothing more than the 500. I'm used to looking and finding the line in

> the
> > page that the error occurred on as well as the actual ASP error and the
> > description.
> >
> > I looked at my System log and I noticed that there are two events being
> > logged by W3SVC that might have something to do with it. The first is

> Event
> > 47 and the message logged with it is "The server certificate for instance

> '3'
> > does not chain up to a trusted root certificate. ". Then immediately
> > following is an Event 36 and the message says "The server failed to load
> > application '/LM/W3SVC/3/Root'. The error was 'General access denied

> error
> > '. "
> >
> > This problem seems to have started since I installed "Security Update for
> > Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)" and
> > "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1" on Monday.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Evan Nelson wrote:
> Steven,
>
> Thanks but neither of these articles seems to have much to help. I
> already have IIS set to send detailed messages.

But have you configured your browser to receive those messages?
http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Evan Nelson

I found my answer.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;842329 Evidently,
the Visual Studio 6 SP 6 update changes the permissions on a DLL that IIS
needs to process ASP pages.

I installed the service pack because I was trying to resolve a different
issue.

Maybe MS should update SP download pages with links to bugs they know the SP
causes!