Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Opening Word File from hyperlink

Opening Word File from hyperlink

Jason

I have a document saved to a public network server. The public directory
grants change access to all users on the network. To keep my Word doc
protected I am using the Security feature "File Sharing Options" in Word to
attach a password to the document. This works as expected when users open the
file with Windows Explorer.

I also have an ASP web page that has a link to my file on the public drive.
When I click this link, the Word document loads without asking me for a
password and is not read-only. (Note the link in formatted with an href
attribute like this: file://servername/share/filename.doc)

Am I mssing something? Shouldn't the Word security work even if the file is
accessed through a hyperlink?

Regards,
Jason

Kyle Peterson

Not sure about that if it is anything important that password protection is
easily defeated.
There are plenty of office document password craking programs out there and
they work good and fast.

news(E-Mail Removed)...