Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Access Database Locking Up

Access Database Locking Up

Jess

I have an access database that used to be on 1 box and now is on another.
There's asp pages calling it. The gals that use it said they used to be able
to get into the access database at anytime and modify it without the asp
pages locking up. Does anyone know how this could occur?

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Are the users ever presented with an error message?

Ray at work

"Jess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an access database that used to be on 1 box and now is on another.
> There's asp pages calling it. The gals that use it said they used to be
> able
> to get into the access database at anytime and modify it without the asp
> pages locking up. Does anyone know how this could occur?

Jess

When the asp pages & database were on the old box they never got any error
messages except when I, the developer, opened the database thru file
explorer. Now it's on a different box and they too get the error message
saying it's in use by another user. And the guy updating the database thru
asp can't accomplish the updating. Which makes sense to me. Would any of
this be affected by permissions if the database was on a different share than
the web was?

"Ray Costanzo [MVP]" wrote:

> Are the users ever presented with an error message?
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Jess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an access database that used to be on 1 box and now is on another.
> > There's asp pages calling it. The gals that use it said they used to be
> > able
> > to get into the access database at anytime and modify it without the asp
> > pages locking up. Does anyone know how this could occur?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

All users of an Access database require Modify permissions for the folder
containing the database in order to allow multi-user activity to be allowed.
This means that if your site is using Anonymous access, then the IUSR and
IWAM accounts must b e granted Modify permissions for that folder. If using
Integrated security, then the actual users need those permissions.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"