Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with HTML help file generation

Problem with HTML help file generation

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Not sure if this is the correct place to post the problem, but trying to use the HTML help workshop and trying to create the index file automatically. Anyhow I get the error below
HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index.hhk
Thanks Paul

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Paul,

microsoft.public.helpauthoring (added) would be a more likely place for
this one.

Ken

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not sure if this is the correct place to post the problem, but trying to
> use the HTML help workshop and trying to create the index file
> automatically. Anyhow I get the error below.
> HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index.hhk.
> Thanks Paul.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bC4=?=

ok thanks for the information.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Hi Ken, I could not find the microsoft.public.helpauthoring news group, just wondering if you could provide a web link, thanks Paul.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

I don't see the regular NNTP HelpAuthoring group on the Web newsgroup site,
but here's a VS.NET Help group. There are great guys like Rob Chandler who
should be able to help there.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...&lang=en&cr=US

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ken, I could not find the microsoft.public.helpauthoring news group,
> just wondering if you could provide a web link, thanks Paul.

Ulrich Kulle

Hello Paul,

> > Not sure if this is the correct place to post the problem, but trying to
> > use the HTML help workshop and trying to create the index file
> > automatically. Anyhow I get the error below.
> > HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling index.hhk.

there is a free HTML Help Error Message Reference (CHM format) at:
http://www.workwrite.com/helpthink/errors_zubak.htm

<snippet ..>
HHC5003: Compilation failed while compiling "filename".
The compiler was unable to compile the specified file into the .chm file. This
problem may occur if the compiler cannot locate a file referenced in the
[OPTIONS] section of the project file or a window definition (e.g., the HHC.
If the problem occurs because a file is missing, you will need to identify the
file and move it to the intended location. As a best practice to avoid this
problem, be sure to explicitly add all project files to the project, rather than
relying on the compiler to pull in the files by reference.
<snippet end>

What do you mean with "to create the index file automatically"? An index without
use of a help authoring tool (HAT) normally is produced by hand..Keywords
integrating into the HTML code is possible by special statement.. Adding the
keywords "automatically" is the work of the compiler. One should produce a index
hhk file if possible with at least one keyword.

To extract a keyword list from title, meta tags anchor names you can use KIT.
See
http://www.help-info.de/en/KIT/index.htm

HTH

Best regards
Ulrich Kulle
***************************************
http://www.help-info.de

Samuel

Hi Paul,

>trying to create the index file automatically

Do you mean index file(hhk) automatically be created when you add files to
TOC(hhc)?

I know some help authoring tool have this feature,
such as Pocket CHM (http://www.flyskysoft.com)

Best regards
Samuel