Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Datagrid for ASP?

Datagrid for ASP?

Richard Speiss

I have a website that uses a database and ASP to create the pages from this
database.

Currently I have an application written that connects to the remote database
and allows me to add/change/delete records from the various tables.

I want to get rid of my stand alone application and integrate this ability
into the website itself. i.e. Have the browser login and then be able to
operate on the tables using some sort of DataGrid like component. There
seems to be a lot out there for .NET but I was wondering if there was
something available for "classic" ASP?

I would appreciate any thoughts or directions

Richard Speiss

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Richard Speiss wrote:
> I have a website that uses a database and ASP to create the pages
> from this database.
>
> Currently I have an application written that connects to the remote
> database and allows me to add/change/delete records from the various
> tables.
>
> I want to get rid of my stand alone application and integrate this
> ability into the website itself. i.e. Have the browser login and
> then be able to operate on the tables using some sort of DataGrid
> like component. There seems to be a lot out there for .NET but I was
> wondering if there was something available for "classic" ASP?

This question is somewhat offtopic. ASP, remember, is about using
server-side script to
a) process request data
b) generate HTML to be sent to the client

However, there are components created to be used by server-side script - you
can probably get information about them in the components group.

Visual Interdev had some Design-Time controls (DTC's) that were frankly a
waste of time.

Bob Barrows
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Richard Speiss

My apologies. I assumed that this component would be written in ASP and
generate the appropriate HTML for the browser to interact with

Richard

> This question is somewhat offtopic. ASP, remember, is about using
> server-side script to
> a) process request data
> b) generate HTML to be sent to the client
>
> However, there are components created to be used by server-side script -
> you
> can probably get information about them in the components group.
>
> Visual Interdev had some Design-Time controls (DTC's) that were frankly a
> waste of time.
>
> Bob Barrows
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

No apologies needed. I was not intending a rebuke.

Richard Speiss wrote:
> My apologies. I assumed that this component would be written in ASP
> and generate the appropriate HTML for the browser to interact with
>
> Richard
>
>> This question is somewhat offtopic. ASP, remember, is about using
>> server-side script to
>> a) process request data
>> b) generate HTML to be sent to the client
>>
>> However, there are components created to be used by server-side
>> script - you
>> can probably get information about them in the components group.
>>
>> Visual Interdev had some Design-Time controls (DTC's) that were
>> frankly a waste of time.
>>
>> Bob Barrows
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

paul@bullschmidt.com

I've done some datagrids (or something similar) myself but they can be
a little hard to explain in a post. But here are some links I found
that might hopefully be useful.

ASP Datagrid V 1.0 beat by Omeya Ambre
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...=8802&lngWId=4
"It has got vb datagrid functionality to add, edit, delete record ...
give me some time i ll also do sorting & paging "
Free.

Creating a Datagrid Class in classic ASP - Introduction by Brian
O'Connell
http://www.developerfusion.com/show/2328/
Free.
Uses a class.

ASP Datagrid object by Claus Stahnke
http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=4739
$69 (as of 7/2004). Free demo

DbNetGrid
http://www.dbnetgrid.com/dbnetgrid/default.aspx
$199 - $1,499 depending on how it is used. Free demo.

Best regards,
J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
http://www.Bullschmidt.com
Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Richard Speiss wrote:
> I have a website that uses a database and ASP to create the pages
> from this database.
>
> Currently I have an application written that connects to the remote
> database and allows me to add/change/delete records from the various
> tables.
>
> I want to get rid of my stand alone application and integrate this
> ability into the website itself. i.e. Have the browser login and
> then be able to operate on the tables using some sort of DataGrid
> like component. There seems to be a lot out there for .NET but I was
> wondering if there was something available for "classic" ASP?
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts or directions
>
> Richard Speiss

I just came across this:
http://www.axezz.com/AxpDb/Index.aspx
--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Richard Speiss

Thanks for all the links. I will check those out.

Richard

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...odeId=8802&lng
WId=4
> "It has got vb datagrid functionality to add, edit, delete record ...
> give me some time i ll also do sorting & paging "
> Free.
>
> Creating a Datagrid Class in classic ASP - Introduction by Brian
> O'Connell
> http://www.developerfusion.com/show/2328/
> Free.
> Uses a class.
>
> ASP Datagrid object by Claus Stahnke
> http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=4739
> $69 (as of 7/2004). Free demo
>
> DbNetGrid
> http://www.dbnetgrid.com/dbnetgrid/default.aspx
> $199 - $1,499 depending on how it is used. Free demo.
>
> Best regards,
> J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
> http://www.Bullschmidt.com
> Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Richard Speiss

Thanks, Ill check that out too.

Just out of curiousity, my web server is using ASP because that's what I
loaded on it originally. Is it much effort to upgrade a site to ASP.NET?

Does the client have to have .NET installed as well or is it strictly a
server side thing (i.e. it does not generate code that requires .NET on the
client)?

There's not a huge reason (other than time to learn ASP.NET) that is
preventing me from upgrading to ASP.NET and using the .NET datagrid. Would
my existing pages have to change or is it backwards compatible?

Thanks again

Richard

> I just came across this:
> http://www.axezz.com/AxpDb/Index.aspx
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Kyle Peterson

good reading if you are thinking about switching over to .net

http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/...-aspdotnet.asp

just one opinion but some good points

"Richard Speiss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Ill check that out too.
>
> Just out of curiousity, my web server is using ASP because that's what I
> loaded on it originally. Is it much effort to upgrade a site to ASP.NET?
>
> Does the client have to have .NET installed as well or is it strictly a
> server side thing (i.e. it does not generate code that requires .NET on
> the
> client)?
>
> There's not a huge reason (other than time to learn ASP.NET) that is
> preventing me from upgrading to ASP.NET and using the .NET datagrid.
> Would
> my existing pages have to change or is it backwards compatible?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Richard
>
>> I just came across this:
>> http://www.axezz.com/AxpDb/Index.aspx
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
>> header is my spam trap, so I don't check it very often. You will get a
>> quicker response by posting to the newsgroup.

Gerry Hickman

> "Richard Speiss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Just out of curiousity, my web server is using ASP because that's what I
>> loaded on it originally. Is it much effort to upgrade a site to ASP.NET?

Not if you're used to web application boundaries, authentication
schemes, security tokens, permissions, user rights etc. There are two
separate answers to your question.

1. Upgrading the web server; if you've used IIS for years on big servers
and read all the readme files, you'll probably find this part easy.

2. Upgrading the "site"; that's completely different! In my view you
can't upgrade it, you have to rewrite it in .NET

Bear in mind that ASP.NET technology is not really much different to ASP
on the surface, but there's more to it than that; once you switch to
ASP.NET you have to start writing all your code in .NET and that's
completely different to something like VBScript and COM. It's also
arguable that you'd need something like Visual Studio.

>> Does the client have to have .NET installed as well

Only if you listen to Microsoft. Their current hype is that web
applications, HTML and the W3C are dead, and in future all distributed
apps will run on Windows/IE only, as Avalon-enabled XAML "smart clients"
with an SOA back-end. The reality is that the future is open-standards
W3C cross-browser code with cross-platform open-source back-ends. Hell
you only have to look back a few years to the security disaster brought
on by ActiveX to see why you don't want the Microsoft "dream". Future
apps will need to run "out of the box" on any browser and o/s, and
without any silly security warnings or dumbo dialogs saying things like
"Would you like to install and run get-rich-quick v2"

You can run .NET server side and server web apps without any of the
aforementioned hype, but look out for how ASP.NET renders it's HTML - it
changes it for different browsers and that's a sin, because it means the
Microsoft authored code it's generating is not cross-browser. Don't
worry you can turn this off in web.config

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Re: Datagrid: how cut short display of a long description in a datagrid column Brian K. Williams ASP .Net 0 03-02-2004 08:35 PM
RE: Datagrid: how cut short display of a long description in a datagrid column =?Utf-8?B?U3VyZXNo?= ASP .Net 0 03-02-2004 08:31 PM
datagrid in datagrid BK Kim ASP .Net 1 03-02-2004 06:34 AM
Call Datagrid Command column outside datagrid Dave ASP .Net 0 11-20-2003 11:11 AM