Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > submit the form concept

submit the form concept

strutsng@gmail.com

I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
languages.

On page1.php,
<form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">

means 2 steps here:
1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
HTTP POST method.
2) open otherpage.php

Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
to itself, or this is called POST BACK.

Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

Thanks!!

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
> PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.

Since I'm replying from clpmisc, and before somebody else says it: Perl
is used for more than web programming. Many seasoned Perl programmers
are not doing web programming at all.

> On page1.php,
> <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
>
> means 2 steps here:
> 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
> HTTP POST method.

Almost agreed. Rather than submitting the form you submit a set of data
by help of the form.

> 2) open otherpage.php

I'd say: "ask otherpage.php to do something with the submitted data".

> Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself,

Yes.

> that means post the page to itself,

No. You don't post "the page", you post some data. Neither do you post
the data to "the page", you post them to the server, asking the server
to let _the script_ handle the data.

> or this is called POST BACK.

Have never heard that expression.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Jürgen Exner

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web
> server. PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying that you are _not_ talking about Perl.

[...]
> Is that correct? Please advise & comment.

Don't know. Do you have a question about Perl, too?

jue

Erwin Moller

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I want to clarify the concept of submitting the form to the web server.
> PHP is just an example here, it applies to any web programming
> languages.
>
> On page1.php,
> <form name="myform" action="otherpage.php" method="post">
>
> means 2 steps here:
> 1) submit the form called "myform" on page1.php to the web server using
> HTTP POST method.
> 2) open otherpage.php
>
> Also, otherpage.php can be page1.php itself, that means post the page
> to itself, or this is called POST BACK.
>
> Is that correct? Please advise & comment.
>
> Thanks!!

Hi struts,

Please do not post to a zillion newsgroups.
That is annoying.
And now I am annoying everybody in groups I never visit too by replying to
them all.

It is a common mistake to expect faster answers by posting to all groups
that possibly might have something to do with your problem.
Many people get irritated when you do that, as you maybe noticed.

If you post to 1 active group, you will get your answer.
Posting to many groups will lead to broken threads, and thus discussions
become impossible to follow.
Especially simple questions like this one will be answered in no time in any
respectable group..

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Tad McClellan

[ Followups set ]

> it applies to any web programming
> languages.

Then posting to a programming language newsgroup is inappropriate.

Also, how is a "web programming language" different from
a "programming language"?

> Please advise & comment.

Don't make off-topic postings.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
(E-Mail Removed) Perl programming

submit the form concept strutsng@gmail.com ASP .Net 5 11-18-2005 01:28 PM
submit the form concept strutsng@gmail.com Perl Misc 9 11-18-2005 01:28 PM
submit form data concept Matt ASP General 3 08-20-2004 12:23 PM
submit form data concept Matt ASP .Net 1 08-20-2004 05:57 AM
submit form data concept Matt HTML 2 08-20-2004 05:55 AM

Advertisments